Job Listing: Museum Attendant
MacArthur Memorial, Norfolk, VA
Closes: November 10
Departmental Hiring Salary Range: $11.68 per hour
Job Type: Casual Part-time
Cultural Facilities, Arts & Entertainment
The City of Norfolk's Department of Cultural Facilities and Entertainment is seeking a Museum Attendant for the MacArthur Memorial. The Museum Attendant provides security to MacArthur Square. The Museum Attendant is responsible for guiding visitors and tourists to the museum, operating movie equipment at the museum's theater, answering telephone inquiries, and providing assistance during special events.
Essential functions include, but are not limited to:
- Provides visitors with informational materials and answers questions regarding General Douglas MacArthur and United States history.
- Opens and closes facilities and sets security alarms.
- Periodically inspects facilities and displays for security, temperature, and humidity.
- Monitors visitor activity to ensure compliance with established regulations, safety practices, and laws.
- Obtains assistance for individuals in distress by calling police, fire, or medical assistance.
- Answers phone and in-person inquiries in a courteous and efficient manner; refers calls to appropriate person office; takes messages.
- Greets visitors and provides appropriate direction.
- Corrects and/or reports unsafe conditions and inoperable equipment.
- Compiles records, tabulates attendance, and prepares simple reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
Work requires knowledge necessary to understand basic operational, technical, or office processes. Level of knowledge equivalent to four years of high school or equivalency.
Six months in Security, Customer Service, Office Administration; or in a Museum environment, depending on assignment.
The preferred candidate will possess:
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an interest in history.
- The ability to work as a team member to provide excellent customer service to museum visitors.
- Knowledge of methods of interaction with the public to foster mutual respect.
- The ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- The ability to perform basic clerical tasks.
- The ability to make independent decisions.
- The ability to raise and lower several flags on outdoor flagpoles, including climbing stairways and ladders in Memorial dome to raise and lower dome flag.
- The ability to operate telephone, audio/visual, and security equipment.
Additional Information & Requirements:
Work Location: MacArthur Memorial, 198 Bank Street, Norfolk, Virginia
Work Hours: Average 16-20 hours per week; full days
Monday to Saturday, 9:30 am to 5:00 pm
Sunday, 10:30 am to 5:00 pm
Considerable weekend duty and some holiday work
Job Closing 11/28/19