Job Listing: Collections & Exhibitions Assistant
Museum of the Shenandoah Valley - Winchester, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Collections & Exhibitions Assistant
Salary - $34k - $43k Depending on experience
Job Type - Full-Time
For more info and to apply - Please send resume, cover letter and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Museum of the Shenandoah Valley has an exciting opportunity for a Collections & Exhibitions Assistant. In this role, you will assist with and learn about the development, implementation, and upkeep of professional museum exhibitions and displays and the maintenance of a collection.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
· Bachelor’s degree in related field such as history, museum studies, art or equivalent experience.
· Six months minimum experience in collections and/or exhibitions at a cultural institution/museum
· Experience with handling museum objects.
· Experience with Microsoft Office; ability to create charts and tables.
· Proficient with Collections Management software such as PastPerfect preferred.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills; proficiency in conducting research.
· Experience with measuring devices, mat cutter, power tools, pallets jacks, hand trucks, and ladders.
· Strong organizational skills and ability to focus to complete tasks
· Ability to work as part of a team and independently.
· Ability to lift 50 lbs.; ability to step up onto platforms while carrying heavy objects; ability to walk backwards while carrying heavy objects. Strength and mobility are requisites of this position.
Day to day responsibilities include the following:
· Assist with the processing of collections including registering, accessioning, cataloging, packing, unpacking, maintaining inventory, and documentation.
· Assist Collections and Exhibitions staff with the preparation of galleries and objects for exhibition, installing and de- installing temporary exhibitions in the galleries, gardens and trails.
· Assist staff in receiving and shipping changing exhibitions.
· Perform art handling duties as requested.
· Routinely monitor galleries for condition, security, and maintenance needs. Assist with the maintenance and cleaning of storage and prep areas, galleries, Glen Burnie, and outdoor sculpture.
· Assists with data entry and updating of catalogue records in PastPerfect.
· Assist with the fabrication of labels and interpretive materials for exhibitions and related programs.
· Assist with the development and implementation of visitor surveys for exhibitions and related programs.
· Participate in opening events, evening, and weekend programs as requested.
· Other related duties as assigned.