Job Listing: Staff Accountant
The Virginia Museum of History and Culture, Richmond, VA is hiring: Staff Accountant
Title: Staff Accountant
Division: Operations & Finance
Reports to: Manager of Accounting
Position Status: Full-time; Exempt
The Staff Accountant maintains financial records, reports & schedules, performs account and fund reconciliations, multiple monthly bank account reconciliations, and month-end close processes, & assists in the annual external audit.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Full-Charge accounts payable (AP)
• Full-Charge accounts receivable (AR)
• General ledger journal entries
• Daily income processing and recording from both the retail applications as well as other donations/payments
• Prepare daily account reconciliations
• Prepare monthly account reconciliations, to include multiple bank reconciliations
• Prepare month-end close journal entries
• Administer corporate credit card account for 10-20 employees, to include journal entry to record all credit card purchases that occur each month
• Administer corporate petty cash account, to include the release and recording of cash for expenses as well as maintaining an appropriate amount on hand
• Quarterly statement of financial position account reconciliations
• Perform financial transactions research as requested
• Assist in compiling items/info for the annual audit
• Perform other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Necessary:
• Proficiency with Microsoft Excel
• Experience with Microsoft Dynamics (Great Plains) is preferred
• Proficiency with Adobe Acrobat
• Strong understanding of Non-Profit accounting principles
• Ability to understand and operate multiple software/hardware applications, to include scanners, printers, digital filing systems, etc.
• Ability to communicate financial information to coworkers and customers professionally and promptly
• Ability to perform tasks well within a fast-paced office environment and according to strict timelines
Education & Experience Requirements:
• Associates Degree in Accounting or related field; Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting preferred
• Minimum of 2 years in a Bookkeeping or Staff Accountant role
• More on-the-job experience can be substituted for Education Requirements
$45,000 – 55,000; commensurate with experience plus benefits package
Note & Special Requirements:
The successful Staff Accountant will be one who demonstrates a very high level of adaptability along with being extraordinarily good at multi-tasking. The successful candidate should be very analytical in nature, enjoy solving complex financial issues, and understand the need for efficient & accurate processes as well as strong financial controls.
If interested in this job opportunity, please apply and upload your cover letter and resume to
The Virginia Museum of History & Culture is owned and operated by the Virginia Historical Society — a private, nonprofit organization established in 1831. The historical society is the oldest cultural organization in Virginia, and one of the oldest and most distinguished history organizations in the nation. For use in its state history museum and its renowned research library, the historical society cares for a collection of nearly nine million items representing the everevolving story of Virginia.
The Virginia Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.