Library of Virginia - Richmond, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Stacks Technician
Salary - $26,500 to $30,000/Annually (commensurate with experience)
Job Type - Full-Time
To learn more and apply, click here.
The Library of Virginia, the archival agency for the Commonwealth of Virginia, is seeking two Stacks Technicians. The selected candidates will perform stacks functions associated with retrieval, re-shelving, shifting, and shelf reading of archival and library materials in an accurate, timely, and precise manner. These positions also provides support to the Reference Desk by assisting patrons and various customer service-centric functions including patron registration, photocopying, and processing payments of fines. These positions will require interaction with a number of other areas of the Library and the successful candidates will be able to develop positive relationships with others and provide excellent customer service to both internal and external customers.
The Library of Virginia is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring a diverse and inclusive workforce that is reflective of the Commonwealth of Virginia. To be successful in this position, in addition to the qualifications listed, you will need to value working for an agency that fosters a diverse, open, inclusive, team-oriented work environment. All qualified applicants are afforded equal opportunities without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability (except where physical requirements are a bona fide occupational qualification). Minorities, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and people with National Service experience are encouraged to apply.
The Library of Virginia offers a strong benefits package complete with 12 paid holidays, annual leave, family and personal leave, paid sick leave, parental leave, short- and long-term disability, retirement, deferred compensation, and much more.
Qualified state employees may be eligible for student loan forgiveness through the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF
). As a full-time employee with the Library of Virginia, you may be able to take advantage of this program! Visit the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program site at https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service
for more information including eligibility requirements.
35% – Locate Materials
25% – Maintains Order of Stacks Collection and Reading Rooms
15% – Sorts and Shelves Materials
15% – Provides Support Services
10% – Tracks Missing Materials
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. equivalent;
- Basic knowledge of library and/or archives terminology;
- Basic knowledge of and experience with computer operations;
- Excellent customer service skills;
- Ability to interpret oral and written instructions;
- Ability to understand and follow established procedures;
- Ability to do detailed work accurately;
- Ability to work with Staff and the public and communicate effectively;
- Ability to work effectively, both independently, and as a team member;
- Ability to lift and move volumes, boxes, and other containers weighing 30 to 40 pounds each;
- Ability to work in a closed stacks environment with a year-round temperature of 68o F; and
- Ability to work a rotating Saturday schedule.
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience may substitute for educational requirements.
- College courses in history and/or library science;
- Some knowledge of archival theory and practices;
- Knowledge of and experience with Library of Congress (LC) and/or the Superintendent of Documents (SuDocs) classification schemes;
- Experience using an integrated library system, such as ALMA;
- Experience using an inventory reporting and tracking system, such as InfoLinx; and
- Previous related experience in a library, archives, or records storage facility.