Job Listing: Part-Time Historic Interpreter
Prince William Office of Historic Preservation – Dumfries, VA
Closes - June 12, 2023
Position Title – Historic Interpreter
Salary - $16.25/hour
Job Type - Part-time
Apply: Click Here
Do you have a passion for public history and working with the public? Are you looking for an opportunity to be part of a growing local preservation program with a diverse inventory of sites that spans 300 years of history that caters to local residents, school groups and visitors from around the world? The Office of Historic Preservation of Prince William County, Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism, has a part time position that will offer qualified candidates an introductory experience to work at historic house museums or historic sites with an emphasis on U.S. and Virginia history.
Experience in conducting tours, school programs and historic research a plus. We are looking for an individual that has the ability to work on a small but energetic, forward-facing team. The Office of Historic Preservation manages 13 County owned historic sites and parks and averages nearly150,000 visitors a year.
ABOUT THIS POSITION:
- This is a part time position which usually works 3 days each week from May through October and 1 ½ days each week during non-peak season from November through April.
- This position will require walking and standing for extended periods of time.
- Position may be indoor or outdoor and exposed to plants, insects, and severe weather (hot and cold).
- Candidate must be able to operate traditional office equipment (computer/printer/fax/telephone).
The successful candidate will possess the following preferred experience:
- Experience with the principles and practices of historic interpretive and educational programs.
- Experience speaking in public and presenting information.
- Experience writing, developing, and presenting public programs.
- Experience with interpreting historic programs.
- Experience performing historic research.
- Experience processing cash and credit card payments.
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications.
- Experience with POS (Point-of-Sale) systems.
Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism (DPRT)
Recreation Services is a multi-disciplinary team of more than 230 FTE’s (full time equivalent) within DPRT and is comprised of multiple work units to include:
- Indoor and outdoor swimming pools, two large waterparks;
- Parks and community centers;
- Sports Services;
- Children’s programs that include a large summer camp offering;
- Business Services to include program registration, facility reservations and other associated tasks.
OFFICE HOURS: The Prince William County Office of Historic Preservation’s sites are open to the public Friday-Monday 10:00am to 4:00pm.