Job Listing: Museum Register
Daura Museum of Art - Lynchburg, VA
Closes - open until filled
Position Title - Museum Registrar
Compensation - $18.00/hour, 24 hours/week for up to 48 weeks annually. Two-year position only. Generous paid vacation, personal days, paid sick time and family leave, comprehensive insurance (medical, dental, vision, etc.) and retirement plans, flexible spending account, tuition remission, life and long-term disability insurance, and more.
Job Type - Regular Part-Time (Benefits Eligible): Two-year position only.
Apply - Submit a cover letter, résumé, and three professional references through the website.
Summary - The Museum Registrar is responsible for digitizing our museum collection, including careful and accurate record keeping, and ensuring that collections and related data are easily and rapidly retrievable for exhibit, conservation, or research purposes.
The Museum Registrar reports to, is supervised by, and evaluated by the Director of the Daura Museum. The evaluation of work performance will be ongoing and will be carried out by the Director. It will include the specific duties and responsibilities of this position description plus employee attitude and general working behavior.
Job Responsibilities -
- Conducts inventories of collections using PastPerfect and Access databases.
- Transfers all inventory data to PastPerfect museum software using appropriate accession numbers.
- Creates metadata of the museum catalog record using PastPerfect data used to identify, locate, and describe collection objects.
- Assigns accession numbers, compiles accession records, classifies, and physically numbers museum artifacts.
- Performs data entry and filing of donor recognition letters, gift forms, donor cards, catalog records, and other artifact documentation.
- Retrieves and prepares artifacts and artifact information, conducts artifact-related research, and provides input to staff regarding collection elements for exhibits, programs, and other museum needs.
- Manages master catalog for works to be photographed for high-resolution digitization and publication quality.
- Manages image files in the museum’s database.
- Manages and assures accuracy, security, and development of collection records.
- Manages, orders supplies for, ensures adequate insurance for, and upgrades storage, maintenance, care, and preventive conservation of collections.
- Minimum of 2 years of museum registration experience within a collections management and object handling setting (e.g. archives, museum, art gallery), encompassing proficiency with collection management systems and expertise in the art history discipline.
- Above-average knowledge of project management.
- Diplomacy and organizational skills are required.
- Demonstrated ability to focus on details with accuracy.
- Ability to work independently.
- Bachelor's Degree in museum studies or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
We seek candidates who are committed to the University of Lynchburg’s efforts to create an environment that fosters a student-centered environment, develops the breadth of knowledge associated with liberal education, respects and supports diversity, equity, and inclusion, values and celebrates diverse faith traditions, and sustains close working relationships among faculty, staff, students, alumni, and community partners.
Candidates must successfully pass a background check that is satisfactory to the University.
The University of Lynchburg is committed to diversity within its community and welcomes applications from persons of color, women, Indigenous/aboriginal people of North America, persons with disabilities, the LGBTQIA+ community, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of the University of Lynchburg community.
The University of Lynchburg is an equal-opportunity employer.