Job Listing: Museum Editor/Writer
The Mariners' Museum & Park - Newport News, Virginia
Closes - open until filled
Position Title – Museum Editor/Writer
Salary: $48,000 with excellent benefits package
Job Type - full-time, exempt
Apply: Click here to apply. Candidates must include a Cover Letter to be considered. No phone calls, please – only applicants being considered for interviews will be contacted.
Summary: The Mariners' Museum and Park is hiring a Museum Editor/Writer to support multiple departments across the Museum in preparing text, developing print and digital content, institutional messaging, and various other print and digital materials. The Editor/Writer will work in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple deadline-driven projects, ensuring the quality and consistency of each piece and that communications align with the Museum’s brand and strategy.
- The Museum Editor/Writer will act as the primary editor for various Museum publications, including but not limited to Ahoy! Magazine, development-related materials, marketing and PR copy, exhibition copy, Museum presentations, blogs, website, and email content.
- The editor will assess other team members' writing submissions and provide feedback and guidance on necessary revisions and organizational changes.
- The Museum Editor/Writer will produce content for multiple areas of the Museum and will work closely with the Senior Director of Advancement and other Advancement team members to craft engaging and informative copy around exhibitions, events, and institutional initiatives across channels.
- Must have excellent writing and proofreading skills.
- Must be an excellent communicator in verbal, written, and presentation forms.
- Must have a demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, be detail-oriented, follow through on projects, and be proactive.
- Bachelor’s Degree in English, Journalism, or Creative-Writing is preferred but not required.
- Must be able to pass a background check and drug screen prior to employment.
About The Mariners' Museum & Park:
Everyone at The Mariners’ Museum and Park believes our people are our greatest asset, and are the foundation for accomplishing our mission. Our strategy is to hire talented people who support our mission, identify with our core values, and have a desire to grow and adapt as fully integrated members of our team.
We are humbled to be recognized as one of Inside Business’s Top Workplaces for 2020, 2021, and 2022. We are proud of receiving the distinction for Best Communication in 2020, an award based on the results of an anonymous employee engagement survey.
The Mariners’ team is a passionate and diverse group of people who use their talents and gifts to serve our community in support of our mission. The knowledge and expertise of our team members are extensive. You can find everything from Archivists to Conservators to Marketers to Multi-Media Producers to Park Rangers to Electricians and many other professions.