Job Listing: Journeyman Millworker
Colonial Williamsburg – Williamsburg, VA
Closes - Open until closed
Position Title – Journeyman Millworker
Salary - Range
Job Type - Regular Full-Time 37.5+hrs per week
Apply: Click Here
Summary Job Description
Provide support to all Foundation operations as called upon, and when recognized as necessary, in the most appropriate, direct, cost effective, and timely manner without limitations. Provide millwork skills for the manufacture, fabrication, and installation of cabinets, furniture and wood components of building structures.
1. Successful candidate must produce first-class work according to the standards of the trade..
2. Provide millwork skills for the safe operation of joiner, tilting arbor saw, thickness planer, thickness sander, mortise and tenon machine, lathe, shaper, band saw, scroll saw, router, shaper, and any other woodwork machinery, portable and stationary, acquired by Colonial Williamsburg for use in the Millwork Shop.
3. Provide millwork skills that include the manufacture, fabrication, assembly, and repair of posts, rails, garden benches, window sashes, doors, doorsills and jambs, cabinets, reproduction of antique furniture and repairs to carts and carriages. Provide millwork items to support Facilities Maintenance, museums, and various other departments throughout the Foundation.
4. Use non-electric hand tools, when necessary, to produce mortise and tenon joints, and other woodworking joints to Colonial Williamsburg’s quality and historical standards.
5. Provide maintenance of all shop machinery and lumber storage areas (as assigned by foreman), general housekeeping, and other related tasks. Identify and act on safety hazards within the shop and other areas throughout the Foundation.
6. Performs other duties as assigned.
Required and Preferred Education and Experience:
· High School diploma or G.E.D. required.
· Must have 5 years of millwork experience.
· Must possess a valid Commonwealth of Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record as measured against Colonial Williamsburg’s criteria.
· Within three months after hire-in date individual must possess and keep current certifications in Renovation, Repair and Painting (Lead Safety), Asbestos Class 3 Training, and Supported Scaffold Competent Person.
· 8 or more years’ experience gained on restoration carpentry/millwork at museums, historic sites, colleges, or universities, National Park Service or similar organization engaged in building preservation and maintenance.
· Incumbents work will be inspected by a foreman. This individual is expected to be a self-starter requiring minimum supervision.
· Final candidates are to present in person to the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation Employment Office a valid driver’s license and an original Motor Vehicle Record transcript (MVR). The MRV is to be no older than 30 days, issued by the same state as the driver’s license, and must cover the past seven years. Within sixty days new residents must obtain a Virginia driver’s license.
· Final candidates must satisfactorily complete Respirator Fit and Pulmonary Function Testing.
· This position has been designated Essential and has been determined to be critical to the support of the company. Must be able to work additional hours in and around set schedule as needed during inclement weather conditions, emergencies and/or liberal leave situations. Must be available for routine work scheduled on weekends, nights, holidays, and respond positively at emergency recall to work