Job Listing: Garden Fest Seasonal Operations Assistant
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden - Richmond, VA
Closes - Open until filled
Position Title – Garden Fest Seasonal Operations Assistant
Salary - $13/hr
Job Type - Part Time; 22.5 - 30 hrs per week Full Time: 37.5 hrs per week hourly non-exempt
Apply: Please submit cover letter, resume, and Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden Job Application to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Operations Assistant is responsible for providing seasonal operational support during the annual Dominion Energy GardenFest of Lights under the direct supervision of the V.P. Facilities and with direction from Operations Team Leader. As the region’s ultimate holiday extravaganza, this tradition features more than a half million lights, botanical decorations, trains, holiday dinners, family activities and more.
This position assists with all components related to the set up/installation and maintenance of related fixtures, lights, and displays. During the eight week run of show, duties include providing nightlysupport for park Operations, Custodial, Guest Services, and Public Safety departments. Additionally, this position assists with physical preparations for related special events and programming.
· Support installation, maintenance, and uninstallation of GardenFest show
o Prepares outdoor Garden areas for Dominion Energy GardenFest of Lights to include: light installation, display set up, form placement, construction for securing displays, electrical testing, running extension cords, etc. Removal and storage of same following run of show.
o Troubleshoot displays and conduct necessary lighting repairs during run of show.
o Understands elementary electrical functions
o Able to work safely from an elevated level on ladders, roofs and in trees
· Prepares site for related seasonal events and activities
o Set up tables, chairs, coat racks, and similar special event equipment in event venues
o Transport and refuel patio heaters throughout park
o Move event supplies to needed locations – catering equipment, audio equipment, etc.
· Provide a wide variety of tasks need to support department during run of show
o Perform standard light cleaning tasks – both indoors and outdoors – during high attendance period of eight week show – remove trash, restock paper products, sweeping, mopping, disinfecting surfaces.
o Assist Public Safety department with directing guest traffic and pedestrian flow during high attendance period of seven week show.
o Possesses a friendly and welcoming attitude towards guests, coworkers and volunteers
o Communicates effectively with Garden staff on issues, needs and emergencies
· Good interpersonal, and communications skills
· Ability to work nights and weekends
· Stamina necessary to complete physically active work outdoors on a regular basis
· Reliable mode of transportation
· Familiarity with safe use of common hand tools
Each employee of Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden
· Must comply with provisions of the current Employee Handbook, all published personnel policies and the requirements of their individual job descriptions
· Must conduct herself or himself and perform all duties in a manner consistent with a public garden serving multigenerational and multicultural individuals and families, and in accordance with directed practices and procedures
· Must be aware of surroundings and vigilant to threats to the safety of visitors, volunteers, and staff or to security of their property, ensuring that all concerns are reported promptly
· Must report all mishaps, injuries, and incidents immediately and ultimately in writing to supervisor(s) and to the Executive Director
· Must ensure compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations
· Must perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
Physical Demands / Working Conditions
· Must be able to walk the Garden’s campus and perform work in most weather conditions
· Must be available to work both evenings and weekends regularly
· Must be able to lift objects up to 50 lbs. repeatedly
· Must be able to climb stairs and stand for continuous periods of time with or without reasonable accommodation
Note: Duties described above, other duties and physical demands have been identified as essential.
Education and Experience
· High School diploma or equivalent preferred
· Familiarity with standard worksite safety practices
· Other combinations of education and experience appropriate to the job will be considered
Please submit cover letter, resume, and Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden Job Application to Human Resources at HR@lewisginter.org