Job Listing: Executive Director for Arts on Main
Arts on Main - Gloucester, Virginia
Closes - Open until filled
Position Title – Executive Director
Salary - $60,000 - $65,000
Job Type - Full Time
Apply: Click here
The Executive Director supervises and directs the efforts of all employees and is the manager of fundraising and grant writing activities; gallery activities; program development in all the arts; arts partnerships; facility management and operations; marketing and public relations; budgets and funding development; and human resources. The Executive Director will bring demonstrated organizational skills as well as the ability to manage multiple dynamic priorities while remaining a forward-thinking visionary. The position is full-time, on-site, salaried, exempt; the Executive Director would be expected to live in the community.
● Strategy, Development, and Governance
- Responsible for leading Arts on Main in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors, and in partnership with area stakeholders, supporting the development and implementation of a comprehensive, strategic initiative plan.
- Pursue new sources of revenue to further Arts on Main’s goals by securing major gifts and applying for grants and matching challenges. Ensure smooth and effective relationships with current and prospective donors.
- Engage with the Board to achieve good governance; facilitate the orientation of new Board members; support the continued development, education, and engagement of the Board; and communicate effectively with the Board, providing all information necessary for the Board to function properly and make informed decisions.
● Gallery Management
- Hire, manage, and develop staff so that Arts on Main has the skills and expertise to achieve the mission, vision, budget, and goals with a high degree of professionalism and creativity.
- Responsible for the effective administration of Arts on Main’s operations including compliance with organizational policies and procedures for internal and external operations.
- Manage the smooth and effective functioning of the gallery, including planning and executing exhibits, events, classes, and programs that are responsive to the needs of our community; maintain the physical facility to keep it in good repair, in coordination with the Board.
- Manage finances in collaboration with the Finance Committee, including budgeting and tracking expenses, clear financial reporting, accurate cash flow projections, and overseeing a contracted accountant who produces reports, tax filings, and external audits.
● Marketing and Public Relations
- Expand Arts on Main’s presence in the community by directing a messaging and marketing plan that integrates fundraising and programmatic goals; serve as chief spokesperson, representing Arts on Main to a broad constituency of local and regional governmental and elected officials, staff, and commissions, funders, community groups, schools, and the media.
- Support the design and production of physical and digital materials and campaigns, such as social media posts and event publicity, including First Fridays, River Jam, and the Gala; facilitate and contribute to the active maintenance of the Arts on Main website, utilizing it as a key communication channel and promotional tool and the distribution of press releases to local media.
● Program Management
- Collaborate with local artists, staff, volunteers, and the Board of Directors on long-term strategies for recruiting class instructors, new programs, and classes with an emphasis on new teen, seniors, and veterans programs.
- Pursue and manage constituency partnerships; prepare and submit grant applications and funding proposals as appropriate to the mission and goals of Arts on Main; administer grants awarded, ensuring compliance with document retention, fiscal protocols, and project management in accordance with the purposes of grant funds.
- Strategic thinking and planning
- Board relations
- Financial management
- Communications and public relations
- Program and grant management
Position Knowledge and Skills Required
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience; prior experience as a Program Manager or Executive Director in a non-profit arts organization, preferred
A successful Executive Director will possess:
- Passion for and experience in the arts
- Demonstrated leadership
- Development, recruitment, and strategic planning experience
- Public relations, grant writing, and non-profit management experience
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency with technology
Essential skills include:
- Problem solving
- Team building
ABOUT ARTS ON MAIN: Arts on Main is a non-profit, vibrant, growing arts consortium whose mission is to bring the arts in all its forms to our community. Arts on Main has an institutional commitment to the principle of diversity. In that spirit, we welcome applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, religion, creed, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, or national origin. Visit www.gloucesterarts.org to learn more about our mission and our programs, as well as our downloadable Annual Report.