Job Listing: Education Support Specialist Pocahontas State Park
Pocahontas State Park - Chesterfield, Virginia
Closes - open until filled
Position Title – Museum Educator/Curator
Salary - $14/hr
Job Type - part-time; 1500 hours May 1 - April 30
Apply: by visiting the website here
Summary: Pocahontas State Park, located in Chesterfield County, Virginia, is looking for a self-motivated individual to fill the Museum Educator/Curator position. This position will advance the educational mission of the park and Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Museum by conducting tours and providing educational programs for the general public.
- Responsible for researching, creating, coordinating, implementing, and providing support for all public programs, activities, special events, and exhibitions.
- Provide support to volunteer coordinator and develop appropriate training for CCC Museum volunteers and other park staff.
- Serve as and train other front-line staff during museum open hours and special tours.
- Schedule and provide tour introductions and guided tours on an as-needed basis.
- Create interpretive and promotional materials, including flyers, press releases, print materials, and updated online and print calendars.
- Maintain administrative calendars and spreadsheets
- Track Museum inventory, and other associated tasks.
- At times, responsible for maintaining interpretive displays in the Visitor Center and assisting with the care and health of exhibit animals.
- Other duties include:
- maintaining all interpretive supplies and ensuring they are in good working order
- creating new interpretive and cultural/historical programs
- working with other local organizations to diversify programming
- writing interpretive signage
- attending professional development workshops and seminars
- obtaining other certifications (environmental education curriculums and paddle guide certification)
- assisting park visitors using good customer service techniques, adherence to the Cash Management Policy and assisting with other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: Applicant must have specialized knowledge and experience in 20th century Virginia or U.S. History and experience working in a museum or the education field. Applicant must also have the ability to develop and present curriculum for education programming, school field trips and other education-focused tours and workshops. Applicant will be working with the public as part of the Visitor Experience team, and should possess excellent interpersonal communication skills.
Preferred Qualifications: A major in history, education, museum education, museum studies, or a related field; bilingual abilities; and experience with PastPerfect Museum Software is preferred.
Special Requirements: No benefits are associated with seasonal/wage positions. Maximum of 1500 working hours allowed in a 12-month period from May 1 to April 30 for seasonal/wage positions. Must be available to work weekdays and weekends as needed and occasional evenings. A background check will be required. Must have valid driver’s license.
We provide on the job training. The applicant may be required to perform other park-related duties during emergencies or on a nonrecurring basis. Positions require shift work including evenings, weekends, and holidays on a rotating schedule. Employment is contingent upon satisfactory completion of a background check. This position can be an outstanding first step toward a lasting career with the park service!
About Pocahontas State Park: The Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) is an E-Verify and Equal Opportunity Employer.