Job Listing: Education Associate
Virginia Living Museum - Newport News, VA
Closes - 6/27/2022
Position Title – Education Associate
Salary - Based on experience.
Job Type - Full-Time
For more info and to apply - Click Here
The Education Associate is responsible for developing and presenting a wide variety of life and earth
science programs for museum guests and assists in Museum-wide special events to further our education mission. Some weekend, evening, and overnight work is required. This position recognizes the capacity to achieve greater results by integrating skilled volunteers, leveraging their diverse knowledge and skills. This position reports directly to the Education Director.
- Be passionate about education and conservation.
- Bachelor’s degree in biology or educational field with solid background in science, Master’s
degree is a plus.
- At least two years of experience in a museum, nature center or similar education facility.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and teach a wide range of natural science programs for varied audiences ranging from preschool children to adults, teaching certificate a plus
- Knowledge of current preschool, elementary and secondary education techniques.
- Excellent class management, organizational and time management skills.
- Self-motivated with minimum supervision and detail oriented.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Willing to handle a variety of live animal ambassadors, experience preferred.
- Outgoing, friendly, confident personality. Able to interact with a wide variety of people in a tactful and courteous manner.
- Must demonstrate good judgement, discretion, and discernment.
- Must be able to remain calm and give clear direction in an emergency situation.
- CPR & First Aid certified or willing to become certified at museum’s expense.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Be a positive enthusiastic representative of the Virginia Living Museum.
- Develop current and engaging pre-K-12 formal science programs and present programs at the museum, in schools, and other locations.
- Develop current and engaging homeschool and gifted students and present programs at the museum and in schools.
- Develop current and engaging public programs and safaris for people of all ages and present
programs at the museum and other locations.
- Develop current and engaging graduate level teacher training classes and present as needed.
- Work with staff to ensure time and resources are used efficiently.
- Develop and update training materials and train volunteers to interpret exhibits and safely handle live animal ambassadors.
- Provides excellent service to guests and staff by staying aware of all events listed in the Paws and Reflect, the BUZZ, the museum website, and the museum’s posted schedules. Advises management and works with other departments to ensure marketing is thorough and correct.
- Ensure excellent customer service by developing, coordinating, and implementing Museum
- Assist with the training of part time instructors for on-site and outreach programming.
- Coordinate with Volunteer Services to match talent with departmental needs and actively
engage and oversee those volunteers in the completion of duties.
- Represent the museum at community events, conferences, and various professional association
gatherings, as needed.
- Develop activities and volunteer training for traveling exhibits, and represent the museum at
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential Job Requirements
- Must be able to hear and speak clearly
- Occasional evenings, weekend, and overnight work required
- Ability to work in a variety of activity settings to include canoeing streams and ponds, exploring caves, hiking through woods and on hilly terrain, etc.
- Physical requirements include medium work, must be able to lift up to 50lbs comfortably
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time and move about on foot to accomplish tasks
- Must be able to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, push, pull, lift, grasp, feel, and utilize repetitive motions.
- This position is subject to environmental condition for activities occurring indoors and
Supervision Exercised: None
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The Education Associate will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by the appropriate Supervisor/Director. The Virginia Living Museum reserves the right to update, revise or change the job description and related duties at any time.
Qualified applicants please submit a VLM application, cover letter, resume and references. No phone calls, please.