Job Listing: Education Assistant
Pamplin Historical Park, Dinwiddie, VA
Title: Education Assistant (Hourly/Seasonal – Mid-February to May)
Application Period: Open until filled
Hourly Rate Range: $10.10-10.57 per hour, commensurate with experience
Schedule: Must be able to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends, and holidays
The Education Assistant will primarily present educational programs for organized groups of school children. They will also perform a variety of tasks designed to serve general Park visitors.
The Education Assistant will:
- Be trained in all Park educational programs by attending classes, and demonstrating competence in public speaking, program delivery, and group management techniques
- Enjoy working with school children, primarily fourth through sixth graders.
- Deliver educational programs adhering to the approved program outlines and Park standards to students
- Serve at Visitor Services duty stations as needed
- Maintain a professional appearance consistent with Park standards
- Work a flexible schedule including weekends, holidays, and evenings, as visitor demand requires.
- Demonstrate reliable attendance and punctuality
- Maintain cordial, cooperative, and professional working relations with co-workers, supervisors, and the public
- Demonstrate and further develop outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrate the ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously without close supervision
- Assist other departments and participate in special events as needed
- Perform other duties as needed and assigned
- Experience or desire to work with children in a museum setting. Experience leading summer camps or other youth activities. Bachelor’s degree in History, Education, Museum Studies or related field preferred
- Familiarity with nineteenth century American social and Civil War history developed through formal education, professional experience, or personal study
- Knowledge of the principles of informal education
- Demonstrated ability to speak to large audiences with clarity and enthusiasm
- Ability to perform tasks that require moderate physical exertion required (walking and standing for long periods)
- Ability to work primarily in an outdoors environment in varying seasonal conditions for extended periods of time
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends, and holidays
To Apply: Submit a complete Pamplin Historical Park application form, a resume, and a narrative statement of not more than two typewritten pages addressing the preferred qualifications for this position. Additional materials may be included at the applicant's discretion; however, the Park does not guarantee the return of any application materials. Highly qualified applicants will be interviewed by telephone. The best candidates will be invited to participate in a personal interview at the Park at their own expense. All applicants will be notified about the status of their application; therefore, we request that applicants do not call the Park for information about their candidacy. Applicants wishing to withdraw their name from consideration should notify Pamplin Historical Park at their earliest convenience.
To obtain an application form, log on to www.pamplinpark.org, call (804) 861-2408, or request one at the Park. Submit completed application packets to: Pamplin Historical Park, Attn: Amanda Jones, Administration, 6125 Boydton Plank Road, Petersburg, VA 23803. Application packets may be mailed, faxed to (804) 861-2820, or hand-delivered.
About Pamplin Historical Park: Pamplin Historical Park is located on a 424-acre campus in Dinwiddie County, Virginia, six miles from Petersburg and 31 miles south of Richmond. The Park contains three museums, features an extensive costumed interpretive program, and preserves the site of a major Civil War battlefield. Pamplin Historical Park, a privately owned 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization, and is a major historical attraction with an ambitious expansion plan. For more information, please visit our website at www.pamplinpark.org