Job Listing: Education and Outreach Coordinator
Moton Museum - Farmville, VA
Closes - Open until closed
Position Title – Education and Outreach Coordinator
Salary - Pay Band 3
Job Type - part-time, non-exempt, funded wage position limited to an average of 29 hours per week
To apply: Click Here
The Robert Russa Moton Museum, a partner with Longwood University, invites applications for a part-time Education and Outreach Coordinator, to begin immediately. This is a part-time, non-exempt, funded wage position limited to an average of 29 hours per week and 1500 hours maximum per work year. Position will include some evening and weekend events.
The Education and Outreach Coordinator will:
- Assist with facilitating the operations of the museum and its bookstore, including but not limited to:
- Welcoming visitors, checking in visitors, distributing admission tickets and providing general assistance to Moton Museum visitors,
- Guiding visitors to gallery entrance while engaging with visitors to provide excellent customer service to include start of Strike Film to be viewed in Gallery 1,
- Operating the cash register in the bookstore,
- Helping conduct quarterly bookstore inventory, and
- Preparing for events, including setting up the auditorium;
- Assist in planning, implementing, and evaluating public programming events (such as guest speakers, and the annual Moton Live event);
- Assist in presenting inquiry-based programs for on-site, off-site, and virtual audiences;
- Assist in planning and implementation of professional development opportunities for teachers and pre-service teachers in coordination;
- Assist in implementing new museum volunteer and docent trainings to build program delivery capacity and skills;
- Collaborate positively and professionally with the Moton Board of Trustees, Moton Council members, museum staff, and other museum, university, and community stakeholders to further the mission of the Moton Museum and the affiliation with Longwood University; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in history, education, museum studies or other related field required
- Experience working in a museum setting preferred
- Experience working with K-12 grade groups in an educational setting preferred
- Experience working with diverse populations and perspectives required
- Excellent customer service, organization, and communication skills
- Experience with computers and Microsoft Office suite required
- Experience with social media preferred
- Ability and flexibility to staff some weekend and evening programs when needed
- Ability to safely lift and manipulate heavy materials up to forty pounds unassisted
- Must have a valid driver's license
This is a part-time, non-exempt, temporary wage position in a pay band 3, limited to an average of 29 hours per week and 1500 hours maximum per work year. Commonwealth of Virginia benefits do not accompany this position. A successful criminal background investigation is required. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Longwood University will provide, if requested, reasonable accommodations to applicants in need of accommodations in order to provide access to the application and/or interview process. You are not required to note the presence of a disability on your application. If, however, you require accommodations in the application and/or interview process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 434-395-2074 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Per CFR: Title 34, the Title IX Coordinator's contact information can be located through this link http://www.longwood.edu/titleix/.
A diversified workforce is an important part of our strategic plan. EOE/AA
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled, position posted 9/27/2022. To apply for this position, qualified applicants must complete the online application and please attach (under Resume):
- Letter of interest summarizing your qualifications for this position
- Current resume or curriculum vitae