Job Listing: Director of Marketing & Public Relations
GUNSTON HALL - FAIRFAX, VA
Position Closes: January 18, 2019
Having embraced a new brand and adopted a visionary campus master plan, George Mason’s Gunston Hall seeks an innovative, resourceful, and enthusiastic leader to join its growing team of passionate and dedicated professionals.
The Director of Marketing and Public Relations is responsible for sustaining an acclaimed reputation for Gunston Hall, capturing the hearts and minds of our stakeholders, and effectively promoting the organization and its public programs. The Director of Marketing and Public Relations’ primary areas of focus in doing so include leveraging the organizational brand, implementing marketing and public relations strategies, coordinating media relations, managing key performance indicators, cultivating beneficial relationships and partnerships, ensuring consistent and timely communications, and proactively serving as a member of Gunston Hall’s senior leadership team. In performing these duties, the Director of Marketing and Public Relations is expected to demonstrate creativity, innovation, the ability to work as part of a high functioning team, and exemplary communication skills.
Primary responsibilities of the Director of Marketing and Public Relations include:
* Serving as an active member of Gunston Hall’s Leadership Team.
* Implementing the consistent application of Gunston Hall’s brand across all formats.
* Implementing a strategic marketing plan based on a thorough understanding of audience demographics.
* Implementing a digital marketing strategy and coordinating Gunston Hall’s presence on all social media channels.
* Writing and disseminating content for press releases, calendar postings, the website, blogs, social media, e-blasts, and the newsletter.
* Cultivating relationships with the media including pitching stories and securing placements.
* Maximizing relationships with tourism, hospitality, and business partners.
* Developing and implementing an organization-wide communications plan.
* Implementing a benchmarking strategy based on key performance indicators.
* Documenting and measuring the success of marketing and public relations initiatives.
* Monitoring and reporting on all media coverage.
* Developing, implementing, and monitoring departmental budgets and business plans as part of the organization’s strategic and inclusive budgeting process.
* Working closely with the Board of Regents of Gunston Hall, Inc. and appropriate committees in support of departmental and organizational goals.
* Generating materials for board, fundraising, and government affairs initiatives.
* Providing exceptional hospitality in support of guest services initiatives throughout the organization.
* Supervising contractors, staff, volunteers, and interns as needed.
In line with organizational values, we are seeking an individual with the following abilities:
* Demonstrated and successful leadership in diverse and vibrant settings.
* Demonstrated experience leading successful marketing initiatives which maximize organizational brand, enhance reputation, and drive guest participation.
* Demonstrated success maximizing social media, and digital formats.
* Exemplary writing and design skills.
* Exemplary communication skills.
* Demonstrated success cultivating and sustaining strong relationships with diverse constituencies.
* Experience creating, supporting, and sustaining an environment in which a unified team works for organizational excellence.
* Experience providing and supporting exemplary guest service.
* Proven ability developing and achieving goals, planning and managing projects, implementing budgets and business plans, and meeting targeted deadlines.
* A commitment to leading and supporting entrepreneurial and innovative initiatives.
* Exceptional data management skills.
* A positive attitude, energetic personality, motivational spirit, and creatively open mind.
* A commitment to excellence.
Qualifications for this position include:
* A Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, journalism, history, museum studies or a related field is preferred.
* Progressive experience and demonstrated success in marketing, communications, and public relations, or a comparable combination of education and experience, is required.
* Knowledge and experience specific to museums or historic sites is beneficial.
* A passion for Gunston Hall, history, historic sites, and associated themes and topics is beneficial.
* Must be available to work weekends, holidays and/or evenings as needed.
* Must be able to travel out of town as needed.
Full time, state position; compensation range: $32,619 - $50,000
Compensation will be based on qualifications. Performance will be evaluated based on the achievement of collaboratively determined team and personal goals specific to the requirements of the position.
The mission of Gunston Hall is to stimulate the exploration and understanding of principles expressed by George Mason in the 1776 Virginia Declaration of Rights. Accredited by the American Alliance of Museums and a National Historic Landmark, the site includes Gunston Hall, reconstructed outbuildings, a visitor center and museum, event facility, museum shop, and 550 acres of diverse landscape situated along the Potomac River in Fairfax County, Virginia. For more information, please visit www.gunstonhall.org.
Gunston Hall does not accept “See Resume” as a response to any question. Information on the application is the primary source used for screening. Failure to complete any section of the application may disqualify the application for further consideration. Also, applications should include complete work history, including periods of unemployment if applicable. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.