Job Listing: Director of Marketing & Public Relations
Gunston Hall Plantation - Mason Neck, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Director of Marketing & Public Relations
Salary - $50,000 -- $60,000/Annually
Job Type - Full-Time
For more info and to apply, click here.
DIRECTOR OF MARKETING AND PUBLIC RELATIONS
George Mason’s Gunston Hall, a National Historic Landmark located on scenic Mason Neck in Fairfax County, Virginia, is pleased to announce an exciting new opportunity for a creative and innovative individual to lead marketing and public relations operations at a growing and vibrant cultural organization. The Director of Marketing and Public Relations serves on Gunston Hall’s senior leadership team and we are seeking a passionate and enthusiastic leader with the vision and expertise to develop and implement comprehensive and collaborative marketing, communications, and public relations initiatives.
The ideal candidate will be able to strategically and entrepreneurially lead and manage departmental operations and support organizational advancement. The ideal candidate will also possess a passion for building and sustaining relationships, an enthusiastic commitment to excellence, a dedicated commitment to exceptional service, and a strong belief in the importance of ongoing personal and professional development.
As an educational institution, Gunston Hall fosters learning and reflection. We do so by cultivating and sustaining an organizational culture built on trust, a commitment to clarity, a sense of belonging, and an awareness of personal wellness. Our culture is further supported and reinforced by a shared commitment to our values of developing candid and respectful relationships, acceptance, hospitality, resourcefulness, and being comfortable in the midst of challenging conversations. The ideal candidate for this position should share our commitment to this culture and to these values.
Description of Duties:
The Director of Marketing and Public Relations is responsible for achieving and sustaining an acclaimed reputation for Gunston Hall, building and cultivating strong relationships with stakeholders, and effectively promoting the brand, mission, and activities of Gunston Hall to a broad and diverse audience. The Director of Marketing and Public Relations’ primary areas of focus include:
- Serving as Gunston Hall’s brand champion.
- Ensuring the consistent application of Gunston Hall’s brand across all formats.
- Planning and implementing strategic marketing and public relations initiatives.
- Coordinating media relations.
- Tracking and reporting on key performance indicators.
- Cultivating beneficial relationships and partnerships.
- Ensuring consistent and timely communications both internally and externally of the organization.
- Seeking grants and other resources in furtherance of departmental and organizational goals.
- Proactively serving as a member of Gunston Hall’s senior leadership team.
- Supporting and supervising a part-time Marketing Assistant.
Additionally, the Director of Marketing and Public Relations will be responsible for:
- Developing, implementing, and monitoring departmental budgets and business plans.
- Researching and analyzing community and audience demographics.
- Producing and publishing Gunston Hall’s newsletter.
- Writing content for press releases, calendar postings, the website, blogs, and similar products.
- Maximizing relationships with tourism, hospitality, and business partners.
- Developing and implementing an organization-wide communications plan.
- Documenting and measuring the success of marketing and public relations initiatives.
- Working closely with the Board of Regents of Gunston Hall, Inc. and appropriate committees in support of departmental and organizational goals.
- Generating materials for board, fundraising, and government affairs initiatives.
- Supervising contractors, staff, volunteers, and interns as needed.
In performing these duties, the Director of Marketing and Public Relations will demonstrate creativity, innovation, the ability to work as part of a high functioning team, and exemplary communication skills.
Qualifications for this position include:
- Successful organizational and team leadership in diverse and vibrant settings.
- Success leading initiatives that maximize the brand, enhance reputation, and drive guest participation.
- Success implementing organization-wide brand standards.
- Success maximizing both paid and organic social media and other digital content.
- Exemplary communication, writing, and design skills.
- Success cultivating and sustaining strong relationships with diverse constituencies.
- Experience creating, supporting, and sustaining an environment in which a unified team works for excellence.
- Experience providing exemplary guest service and customer service training.
- Success identifying and achieving goals.
- Success planning and managing projects.
- Success implementing budgets and business plans.
- Success meeting targeted deadlines.
- A commitment to leading and supporting entrepreneurial and innovative initiatives.
- Exceptional data management skills.
- A positive attitude, energetic personality, motivational spirit, and creatively open mind.
- A commitment to diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion.
- A commitment to excellence.
Education, Experience, Licensure, Certification required for entry into position:
- A Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, journalism, museum studies or a related field is required.
- Experience in marketing, communications, and public relations, or a comparable combination of education and experience is required.
- Knowledge and experience specific to museums or historic sites is preferred.
- A passion for Gunston Hall, history, historic sites, and associated themes and topics is beneficial.
- Must be available to work weekends, holidays and/or evenings as needed.
- Must be able to travel out of town as needed.
This position is a full-time, salaried, and classified as exempt. The starting salary range for this position is $50,000 -- $60,000 and compensation will be based on qualifications. The Commonwealth of Virginia provides multiple benefits to employees based on eligibility. More information about these benefits can be found at the following link:
Additional benefits of employment at Gunston Hall include opportunities to enjoy 554 acres of outdoor recreational and environmental amenities along the Potomac River, an organizational commitment to wellness and personal fulfillment, access to comprehensive professional development programs, the ability to create flexible work experiences, and the opportunity to collaborate with a creative, innovative, and fun team of individuals who are all enthusiastically committed to the organization, our mission, and to each other’s success.
Performance will be evaluated based on the achievement of collaboratively determined team and personal goals specific to the requirements of the position.
The mission of Gunston Hall is to stimulate the exploration and understanding of principles expressed by George Mason in the 1776 Virginia Declaration of Rights. Accredited by the American Alliance of Museums and a National Historic Landmark, the site includes Gunston Hall, reconstructed outbuildings, a visitor center and museum, event facility, museum shop, and 554 acres of diverse landscape situated along the Potomac River in Fairfax County, Virginia. For more information, please visit www.gunstonhall.org.
Gunston Hall does not accept “See Resume” as a response to any question. Information on the application is the primary source used for screening. Failure to complete any section of the application may disqualify the application for further consideration. Also, applications should include complete work history, including periods of unemployment if applicable. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
This position is open until filled.
To apply, please use the following link:
George Mason’s Gunston Hall is an equal opportunity employer.