Job Listing: Assistant Horticulturist
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden - Richmond, VA
Closes - Open until filled
Position - Assistant Horticulturist
Salary - Commensurate w/ Experience
Job Type - Full Time
Apply: Please submit cover letter, resume to Human Resources at email@example.com
Under the guidance of the Horticulture Section Leaders, the Assistant Horticulturist assists the Horticulture team with the installation and care of the display gardens and horticultural collections, both outdoors and under glass. This position works collaboratively within a dynamic department that is responsible for creating and maintaining displays that represent the highest aesthetic standards at the Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden and the Lewis Ginter Nature Reserve. Individuals in this position should have a keen interest in horticulture and gardening, a general understanding of horticultural principals, and the skills necessary to perform basic horticultural tasks.
· Assist with the hands-on maintenance of annuals, perennials, shrubs, trees and tropical plants in a manner consistent with the horticulture standards of the Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden and the Nature Reserve.
· Physically work in all aspects of garden maintenance and development including soil preparation, planting & transplanting, mulching, watering, weeding, fertilizing, pruning, propagating, potting, raking, sweeping, and blowing.
· Utilize hand tools effectively and safely.
· Operate push mowers, weed-whackers, backpack blowers, push blowers, garden ATV’s, tractors, pickup trucks, and other power equipment in accordance with LGBG safety protocols and regulatory standards (training will be provided).
· Participate in weekly group maintenance tasks such as blowing walkways, replenishing supplies, and caring for tools and equipment.
· Apply pesticides and herbicides in accordance with IPM protocols and in accordance with all federal, state, and local regulations.
· Participate in group projects with other horticulture staff and in cross-departmental projects.
· Assist with the care of our natural areas including our meadows and woodlands.
· Work with Horticulture Volunteers.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities
· A passion for horticulture and plant collections, and a commitment to the “public” in public horticulture.
· A thorough understanding of horticultural practices and procedures and the ability to identify frequently used woody, herbaceous, and annual landscape plants.
· The ability to use hand and power tools effectively and safely.
· A willingness to interact with the public on an informal basis by answering questions, providing directions, etc.
· The ability to work with a diverse staff and group of volunteers.
· Able to work independently and collaboratively.
· The ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
· Willing to work weekends, evenings, and holidays, when needed.
Employees of Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden
· Must comply with provisions of the current Employee handbook, all published personnel policies and the requirements of their individual job descriptions.
· Must perform all duties in a manner consistent with a public garden serving multigenerational and multicultural individuals, families, and in accordance with directed practices and procedures.
· Must be aware of surroundings and vigilant to threats to the safety of visitors, volunteers, and staff or to security of their property, ensuring that all concerns are reported promptly.
· Must report all injuries and incidents immediately and ultimately in writing to supervisor(s) and to Human Resources.
· Must ensure compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations.
· Must perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Physical Demands / Working Conditions
· Must have the physical strength, dexterity, and coordination sufficient to perform the above functions.
· Must be able to bend, squat, kneel, stand and walk long distances for extended periods of time.
· Must be able to work out-of-doors and under glass in Central Virginia seasonal extremes.
· Have the ability to push, pull and/or lift 50 pounds repeatedly.
· Note: Duties described above, other duties and physical demands have been identified as essential.
Education and Experience Required
· One year of experience as a professional gardener or groundskeeper.
· Virginia Pesticide Applicator’s License (or the ability to obtain one within six months of hire).
· Possession of a valid driver's license.
· Other combinations of education/experience appropriate to the job will be considered.
· An Associate's degree in Horticulture, Botany, Plant Science, or a related field.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org