Job Listing: Visitor Engagement Supervisor
The American Civil War Museum - Richmond, VA
Closes - Open until Close
Position Title – Visitor Engagement Supervisor
Salary - $14 - $15/hr, Commensurate with experience
Job Type - Full Time
Apply: Send resume to Chuck Young at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Visitor Engagement Supervisor oversees front-line associates (VEAs) and operations at the Richmond campuses.
The Supervisor ensures smooth operation of site opening/closing procedures, site operations, public program and
interpretation execution, retail functions, basic safety compliance, and training.
The Visitor Engagement Department delivers a visitor experience that not only meets the needs and expectations of onsite visitors, but leaves a lasting and meaningful impression. This department is responsible for everything that pertains
to the face-to-face delivery of information, orientation, interpretation, and sales in the ACWM. Encounters with the
public take many forms and include front desk operations; booked group programs; guided tours, informal
interpretation, public programs; and special events.
Duties and Responsibilities
● Interprets the history of the American Civil War and its legacies, and relates the war to current events.
● Coordinates and presents formal and informal interpretive programs for family audiences, student field trips, adult
tours, and general public visitors.
● Other duties or projects as assigned
Operations and Administration
● Implements the Museum’s front line opening/closing, cash handling procedure, and emergency operations.
● Supervises front-line operations and part-time and volunteer VEAs.
● Maintains accurate records and supplies: Tracks program attendance, supply levels, and (as needed) evaluations.
● Supports other department activities, including support for staff and volunteer training
● Contributes to planning teams and committees for larger Museum projects.
● Supports the overall visitor experience of the ACWM by providing exceptional customer service.
● Oversees the implementation and performance of an effective and efficient visitor services operation.
● Provides front desk coverage to ensure continuous operation of the visitor service function as needed.
● Executes the daily performance of an effective and efficient retail operation.
● Engages with visitors in store to assist with purchases.
● Bachelor’s degree in History, Education, Museum Studies, or related field preferred; minimum of a High School
Graduate, with some college (or equivalent) experience.
● Substantial knowledge of nineteenth-century American social and Civil War history developed through formal
education, professional experience or personal study.
● A minimum of one to two years of experience presenting programs at a museum or historic site setting, or
classroom teaching experience.
● Two years front-line customer service experience at a museum, historic site, or public-facing environment.
● Demonstrated experience providing engaging educational experiences to a wide variety of audiences using handson activities or other interpretive techniques.
● Demonstrated experience successfully leading projects or teams of people.
● Demonstrated experience with a Point of Sale (POS) system
● Superior public communications skills.
● Excellent customer service and leadership skills, with a minimum of one year’s supervising and training staff,
volunteers, and/or interns.
● Possess excellent organizational skills, and be detail oriented.
● Ability to manage multiple projects.
● Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
● Ability to adapt quickly and positively to changing circumstances.
● Ability to work a flexible schedule, which includes weekends, evenings, and holidays. Approximately 40 hours
weekly (eight hours per day, five days per week)
● Ability to perform physical tasks associated with the position, with or without reasonable accommodations:
o Ability to lift up to 40 lbs. on a regular basis.
o Ability to climb stairs.
o Ability to stand for extended periods.
o Ability to work indoors and outdoors in varied weather conditions.