Job Listing: Museum Technician
The Thomas Jefferson Foundation (Monticello) - Charlottesville, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Museum Technician
Salary - Starting at $17.12/hr
Job Type - Full-Time
For more info and to apply: Click Here
Monticello is seeking a technician to maintain historic interiors and collection spaces and assist with other Curatorial department functions. This position will involve the daily cleaning and maintenance work while standing on ladders and scaffolding, assist with registration and records data, and take the lead in monitoring the environment of the collection including temperature, humidity, and light-level monitoring.
We will look to you to:
· Prepare objects for storage, transport, study, or photography.
· Participate in installation and de-installation.
· Participate in inventory of objects which can require the lifting of heavy objects.
· Take a lead role in tracking loans and corresponding with public queries.
Skills and Abilities:
· Demonstrated object-handling skills, and hands-on collection experience in a museum setting. Experience working in a historic house is preferred.
· Demonstrated knowledge of preventative conservation techniques and understanding of condition concerns for a variety of media and materials and a high level of computer literacy and collections management software is ideal.
· Undergraduate degree in Art, Art History, Museum Studies or related field preferred.
Physical Demands and Work Considerations:
· Cleaning and maintenance work while standing on ladders and scaffolding.
· Ability to lift 50 pounds.
· The historic house is comprised of four floors joined by narrow stairs; climbing, walking, and carrying objects up and down stairs will also be required.
· Some travel may be required.
· Work schedule for this position is Tuesday to Saturday from 6:30 am to 3:00 pm. This position will also require some night, and weekend work as needed.
· Competitive compensation
· Excellent benefits package including healthcare, dental, vision, and 401k
· Free admission to Monticello and partner institutions
· Beautiful grounds and walking trails
· Employee discount in the café, gift shop, and Monticello catalog