Job Listing: Museum Docent
Isle of Wight County Museum - Smithfield, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Museum Docent
Salary - $11.00/Hour
Job Type - Part-Time
For more info and to apply: Click here
Under direct supervision, this part-time position maintains a welcome, hospitable environment while conducting guided tours and providing visitors with information about the history of Isle of Wight County and the Town of Smithfield.
This position will work a weekend schedule consisting of Saturdays 9:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. and Sundays 11:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
· Conducts guided tours while providing visitors with information about the history of the Town and County. Responds to inquiries about events and activities in and around the surrounding area. Familiar with attractions, lodging, and dining facilities.
· Performs facility rounds twice each day to record humidity and temperature readings. Performs daily checks for problems that may cause harm to the building or collections.
· Familiar with items for sale in the gift shop and appropriate documentation of sales and transactions.
· Familiar with the inventory of the gift shop, where items are stored, and how to replenish supplies.
· Keep brochures stacked and racks filled with current information.
· Assume responsibility for keys to building.
· Review "site supervision" form and be familiar with specific daily responsibilities.
· Prepare and present lectures, educational programs and outreach events to audiences of all ages.
· Works flexible hours, including weekends
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
· High School Diploma or GED required
· Must possess the ability to work flexible hours, including weekends
· Must possess excellent customer service skills
· Must possess excellent attention to detail
· Must possess a customer service focused attitude
· Must be able to communicate and work effectively with a team
· Must be able to successfully complete a background check and drug screen
This is a moderately sedentary role; however, some walking, filing, lifting, pushing, pulling, or climbing is required. This would require the ability to lift/push/pull objects, climb ladders, bend or stand as necessary. The amount of weight to lift, push or pull would not exceed 50 pounds. Occasionally (less than 10% of the time), this role requires shoveling snow.
Requires the ability to perform skilled coordinated movements, such as keyboarding, filing, dialing/answering telephones.
Tasks are regularly performed with limited exposure to adverse environmental conditions; however occasionally, this position is required to shovel snow in small areas.