Job Listing: Horticulturist - CW
Colonial Williamsburg – Williamsburg, VA
Closes - Open until closed
Position Title – Horticulturist
Salary - Range
Job Type - Regular Full-Time 37.5+hrs per week
Apply: Click Here
Summary Job Description
Individual will be responsible for maintaining a particular garden enclosure or groupings of gardens at Colonial Williamsburg to the highest standards. Individual should be an experienced gardener having grown and applied the proper cultural practices to a variety of plants including flowering annuals, perennials, trees, shrubs, vegetable, and fruit. Has ability to direct other gardeners, volunteers, and contractors in their daily activities. Individual must be in good physical condition and able to work outside in all weather conditions. Occasional weekend and holiday work is required. This position is classified as essential and and the incumbent must participate in all emergencies, ice and snow removal and special events.
1. Responsible for the overall look of the garden, keeping it pristine and safe for visitors to stroll and admire. Responsible for planting, pruning, shearing, weeding and the overall care of a variety of plants and responsible for amending the soil and the hardscapes.
2. Regularly inspects areas to set and schedule priorities and perform all work in a timely and efficient manner. Solves problems in a timely manner.
3. Has the ability to supervise interns, volunteers, and contractors in daily gardening activities and special projects.
4. Responsible for staying up to date and informed on horticultural techniques, supplies, chemicals and fertilizers. Applies insecticides, fungicides and herbicides safely and properly. Maintains proper pesticide records. Holds a Virginia Commercial Applicators License.
5. Responsible for tool inventory, maintenance and upkeep. Possesses proficiency in the operation of equipment and power tools and can train others in proper use and safety of equipment used.
6. Conducts all work in accordance with Colonial Williamsburg policies and procedures and in accordance with Virginia state regulations. Practices and maintains safety standards and assures others work safely.
7. Interacts positively and professionally with fellow staff members and Colonial Williamsburg visitors, answering questions and giving directions.
8. Works with little direction or supervision.
9. Ability to be flexible and performs other related duties as requested by immediate supervisor and carries out or directs the completion of special assignments.
Advanced knowledge and skill in landscape gardening and maintenance enabling professional and safe operation of tools and equipment. Ability to read directions and fill out reports; good communication skills - generally gained through a high school education/G.E.D. plus four years landscaping experience at gardener level; requires willingness to keep updated with landscape techniques, ability to 1) bend, stoop, and kneel to perform work, 2) lift weights up to 50 pounds, 3) work outside in all weather conditions, 4) work flexible schedule including weekends, evenings, and holidays, 5) be available for work on emergency basis seven days a week, 24 hours a day and 6) ability to learn new equipment. Must possess a Virginia Department of Consumer Services Commercial Pesticide Applicator’s Certificate and a valid Virginia driver’s license and an acceptable driving record.
Microsoft Word computer skills and public speaking skills are a plus as is experience making holiday decorations.