Job Listing: Education Specialist
Dumbarton House - Washington, DC
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Education Specialist
Salary - $20/Hour
Job Type - Part-Time
For more info and to apply: Click here.
The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America at Dumbarton House, Museum & Headquarters, seeks an Education Specialist.
About Us: Dumbarton House, a Federal period historic house museum and headquarters of The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America (NSCDA) in Georgetown, seeks two part-time Education Specialists to manage visitor center operations, facilitate programs, and develop and deliver new content. Through the interpretation of its historic site and collections, Dumbarton House interprets the early history of our nation. It seeks to encourage each generation to participate in the ongoing process of expanding on the American ideals of freedom, equality, and self-government. The NSCDA is one of the oldest historic preservation organizations in America. Founded in 1891 as a women’s lineage organization, the NSCDA now has more than 15,000 members in 43 states and the District of Columbia, and owns, operates, or supports more than ninety historic properties and sites throughout the United States.
Position Description: The Education Specialist serves as the frontline staff for the museum, ensuring that every visitor enjoys a high-quality educational experience, as well as an integral part of the educational department working to create new interpretative materials and methods of engagement. Splitting time between greeting guests at the visitor center, facilitating stock and custom programs and tours, and co-creating content behind-the-scenes, this new position will work collaboratively with part-time staff, full-time staff, and volunteers to engage audiences of all kinds.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
• Workweek: Tuesday through Sunday;
• Up to 24 hours per week;
• Expect to work holidays as needed.
• Provide a positive, high-quality, and consistent museum experience for all visitors:
o Research, write, and lead guided tours for museum visitors;
o Lead interactive tours of the Museum and hands-on activities for Girl Scouts, school groups, and other visiting youth.
• Manage the visitor center and be the staff point of contact for all visitors to Dumbarton House Museum:
o Respond effectively to visitor needs in person, on the phone, and through email as they arise;
o Coordinate group tour reservations;
o Compile daily attendance and financial reports;
o Handle gift shop displays and transactions;
• Write and edit museum communications:
o Coordinate and assemble the monthly internal newsletter and external Constant Contact eBlast;
o Draft social media content alongside other staff.
• Assist in monitoring and maintaining the security of the building and ensuring visitor safety, responding calmly and professionally to emergencies, and promptly notifying supervisor and/or other appropriate staff of incidents or unsafe conditions, and opening and closing site’s buildings in accordance with site procedures and policies.
• Attend regular training and strive to continuously build knowledge and skills while sharing expertise with others.
• Support the day-to-day operations of the Programs and Audience Department by working collaboratively with staff on developing new content, expanding outreach, and handling inquiries, and other duties as assigned.
• Excellent customer service skills; ability to manage difficult or emotional customer situations in an appropriate and professional manner; solicits customer feedback to improve; maintains confidentiality; remains open to others ideas and tries new things.
• Punctual and reliable; is consistently at work and on time; ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; responds to and follows direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternative plan.
• Takes initiative; volunteers readily; undertakes self-development activities; seeks increased responsibilities; takes independent actions and calculated risks; asks for and offers help when needed.
• Ability to be flexible and adaptable; adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
• Enthusiastic storyteller with an interest in working with members of the public, including children and adults, with excellent communication skills.
• Interest in American history; approaches life-long learning with an attitude of curiosity; desire to work in a historic setting with respect for the preservation and care of the site.
• Experience in an office, retail, restaurant, arts or cultural attraction or other customer service environment;
• Experience working with children in an educational group setting.
Salary and Benefits:
• Free on-site parking;
• Staff museum gift shop discount;
• The incumbent is paid on an hourly basis and is not eligible for museum benefits except transit benefits. Dumbarton House is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Proof of Vaccination is required up
• Send cover letter and resume to: Sheridan Small, Assistant Director of Education and Engagement, firstname.lastname@example.org; subject line: Education Specialist. In the cover letter, please tell us about your most positive customer service experience as a provider or as a visitor.
• No phone calls please.
• Positions are open until filled. May begin as early as January or February.
• Qualified applicants will be contacted to schedule an interview and have references reviewed.
Location: Dumbarton House Museum, 2715 Q Street, NW Washington DC, 20007