Job Listing: Education Programs Manager
James Monroe's Highland - Charlottesville, VA
Closes - October 30, 2023, with review beginning October 20, 2023
Position Title - Education Programs Manager
Compensation - $52,000-60,000
Job Type - full-time; exempt
Apply - For consideration, all applicants must apply at: https://jobs.wm.edu/postings/56221
Summary - James Monroe’s Highland seeks a full-time Education Programs Manager. The Education Programs Manager directs and manages a comprehensive education program that is aligned with the mission of Highland to effectively instruct the public about James Monroe, African American history, Highland’s historical context and ecology, and Highland’s connections with U.S. history.
Job Responsibilities -
- Contributes to the content and presentation of the historic site visit, including tours, workshops, and special programs.
- Hires, trains, and supervises interpretive staff, including house guides, workshop leaders, and crafts demonstrators.
- Assists with the development of new programs, and in program assessment; tailoring them to meet visitor needs.
Required Qualifications -
- Bachelor’s Degree or an equivalent combination of education, training, and/or experience.
- Experience in Museum Education or in the Education field, or comparable experience directly related to the position.
- Experience working with principles, practices, and techniques of museum education and/or museum management.
- An understanding of the Revolutionary and Early National periods in American History; as well as an understanding of and a strong commitment to African American history and its impacts on the United States today.
- Understanding of the plantation landscape and its continued physical presence.
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the proven ability to forge and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse constituency.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Google Drive, Gmail, and Zoom and a willingness to learn new platforms.
Preferred Qualifications -
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Education Administration, Museum Education or Services, or a related field.
- Experience administering or supporting educational programs at historical sites or museums
William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The university is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.