Job Posting: Associate Director of Annual Giving
Museum of the Shenandoah Valley - Winchester, VA
Closes - Open until closed
Position Title – Associate Director of Annual Giving
Salary - $75-85,000 annually
Job Type - full-time
Apply: please forward cover letter, resume and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Museum of the Shenandoah Valley is growing! The Associate Director of Annual Giving is
responsible for managing the MSV’s annual campaign for unrestricted giving and will serve as
the lead on various key communication and solicitation projects, including direct mail
campaigns, email campaigns, social media campaigns, and the bi-annual donor and member
newsmagazine Compass Points. The Associate Director of Annual Giving is also responsible for
stewarding the MSV’s Art of Business Corporate Partnership program. This includes preparing
proposal packages, tracking the use of program benefits, and ensuring materials and webpages
are updated regularly. Working alongside the Senior Manager of Community Engagement and
the Events and Volunteer Coordinator, this position will help plan events for corporate partners.
This position will also have a portfolio of about 50 leadership donors and engage in personal
visits, conversations, and other interactions to cultivate, solicit, and steward those donors in the
context of growing the annual MSV Fund campaign.
Qualifications and Skills:
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent related experience required
• Genuine interest in museums, art, and historic preservation
• Minimum of five (5) years of demonstrated success fundraising in a higher education,
museum, or cultural/arts environment
• Experience in managing successful direct mail fundraising campaigns
• Experience in creating attractive, clear, and concise fundraising print pieces such as
appeals, newsletters, brochures, etc.
• Demonstrated ability to move donors to higher, consistent, and sustained giving
• Proficient in current and innovative online technologies, including social media
• Proven time management and organizational skills
• Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills, including public
speaking and meeting facilitation
• Proficient in Microsoft Office, social media, and PatronManager or similar fundraising
cloud-based CRM database
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Responsible for the annual MSV Fund campaign, including creating a minimum of three
direct mail appeals a year, coordinating with marketing department for year-round
philanthropic messaging, and donor acknowledgement.
• Steward annual donors through creating and mailing timely donor acknowledgement letters,
making thank you phone calls, and identifying other creative ways to recognize our annual
• Serve as the organizational lead for the MSV Fund, keep up to date with annual fund trends
and communicating the importance for the MSV to other staff members, providing training
• Create and present monthly reports on MSV Fund giving and corporate giving.
• Function as the project manager for the bi-annual newsmagazine Compass Points sent to all
donors and members.
• Manage the corporate giving program, The Art of Business, including messaging, marketing,
outreach, creating solicitation packages, managing relationships, acting as project manager
for the Business Forum Luncheon or a new business engagement event, benefit fulfillment,
and partnership stewardship.
• Report monthly on the use of Art of Business benefits by corporations.
• Act as the departmental lead for the MSV Annual Report, including creating donor lists and
working with marketing department to ensure messaging and images parallel that year’s
MSV Fund campaign.
• Managing foundation grants, including writing and submitting grants, tracking, reporting,
• Act as the relationship manager for a portfolio of at least 50 major donors.
• Working with the Director of Institutional Advancement, engage in direct cultivation of
major prospects, including individuals, corporations, and foundations, along with identifying
opportunities to leverage existing support for the MSV.
• Develop and manage all Advancement Office communications, publications, solicitations, and
• Collaborate with Communications Department in implementation of marketing and
communications strategies as each relates to Advancement Office objectives including
continued development of website, newsletters, and other promotional materials, and social
• Working with the Senior Manager of Community Engagement and the Events and Volunteer
Coordinator to create events, such as the Business Forum Luncheon, to attract, acknowledge,
and recognize corporate partners.
• Support overall philanthropic goals of the Advancement Department. This may include
assisting with special projects, special campaigns, affinity giving circles, serving at events, or
assisting with large membership mailings.
• Assist with other Advancement or MSV work as required.
Position and Hours: This is a full-time position with flexible work hours including evenings and
weekends as the event schedule demands.
The MSV offers an excellent benefits package including health, dental, vision, and life insurance, retirement plan, generous time off, discount
gym membership and more. Starting salary range is $75-85,000 annually, commensurate with experience.
To apply please forward cover letter, resume and three references to
email@example.com. Priority will be given to candidates who apply before March 17, 2023.
Resumes will be accepted until position is filled.