Job Listing: Human Resources Specialist
Virginia Living Museum, Newport News, VA
General Statement of Duties
The Human Resources Specialist is responsible for assisting with administration, coordination, and evaluation of the human resource function. This position recognizes the capacity to achieve greater results by integrating skilled volunteers, leveraging their diverse knowledge and skills. The Human Resources Specialist reports directly to the Chief Operating Officer.
- Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum 3 years experience in human resources or 5 years of human resources related experience.
- Excellent organization and interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional communication skills. Must be tactful and display discernment and discretion. Must be able to handle potential confrontational situations and maintain confidentiality in dealing with personal issues.
- Energetic, constructive attitude with ability to view opportunities from a variety of perspectives
- Outgoing, friendly, service oriented. Able to communicate enthusiasm for the museum and its programs.
- Self-motivated with minimum supervision, detail oriented, and highly organized and ability to gracefully handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Knowledge of QuickBooks and/or Payday Payroll Web-based processing preferred.
- Basic knowledge of laws affecting payroll and HR such as FMLA, HIPAA, FLSA, ACA, OSHA and Title vii.
- Must be able to remain calm and make a decision in a crisis situation.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Be a positive enthusiastic representative of the Virginia Living Museum.
- Enhances the guest experience by creating a caring professional staff culture and experience.
2A. Oversees and coordinates museum staff benefits.
- Assist with the administration of the museum's 401k plan.
- Assist with the implementation of the Workers Compensation Program.
- Assists with the implementation of the health and dental insurance programs, Life/Short-term/Long-term disability.
- Performs benefits administration to include claims resolution, change reporting, approving invoices for payment, annual re-evaluation of policies for cost-effectiveness, information activities program and cash flow.
2B. Supports the acquisition and maintenance of talented staff.
- Rewrites job descriptions as necessary.
- Performs all new employee onboarding and offboarding.
- Maintains organizational charts and employee directory.
- Conducts recruitment effort for all exempt, nonexempt and temporary workers; writes and places advertisements; works with supervisors to screen and interview candidates; conducts reference checking and background checks; extends job offers; conducts new-employee orientation. Establishes and maintains personnel files department records and reports. Ensures Employee notices and materials are available and current.
- Ensures compliance with all federal, state and local regulations and employment labor laws. Files EEO-1 annually; maintains other records, reports and logs to conform to EEO regulations.
- Processes payroll as needed in the absence of the accountant.
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential Job Requirements
- Ability to work occasional evenings/weekends.
- Must be able to hear and speak clearly to communicate effectively with employees.
- Physical requirements include medium work, exerting up to 40 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Must be able stand for extended periods of time to accomplish tasks.
- Must be able to, on occasion, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, push, pull, lift, grasp, feel, and utilize repetitive motions.
- Must have close visual acuity to perform activities such as: preparing and analyzing data, transcribing, viewing a computer, and extensive reading.
Supervision Exercised: None
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The Human Resources Specialist will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by the appropriate Supervisor/Director. The Virginia Living Museum reserves the right to update, revise or change the job description and related duties at any time.
Deadline: Nov. 23, 2020