Job Listing: Guest Services Coordinator
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden - Richmond, VA
Closes - Open until filled
Position Title – Guest Services Coordinator
Salary - $15/hr
Job Type - 37.5 Hours per week. Weekend and evening hours required
Apply: Please submit cover letter, resume to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden’s mission is connecting people through plants to improve communities.
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden, including the Lewis Ginter Nature Reserve, reveals the unity and integration of human and plant life, celebrates the fundamental significance of the natural world, and enriches communities through horticultural and educational excellence and innovative outreach activities.
Responsibility, Innovation, Integrity, Hospitality and Inspiration
Founded in 1984, Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden is a non-profit garden located in Richmond, Virginia’s Lakeside neighborhood. The Garden encompasses 82 acres, four lakes, 5,500 unique taxa of plants within 15 distinct outdoor gardens, 11 major buildings including a conservatory and greenhouse, plus an 80-acre branch site, the Lewis Ginter Nature Reserve. Annually, Lewis Ginter engages over 17,000 students in innovative and exciting education programs. This cadre of identified learners is just a fraction of the more than 400,000 annual visitors to the Garden. In recent years, the Garden has been honored with inclusion in several top ten lists for botanical gardens in North America.
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the ground of race, color, religion, sex, age, disability or national origin in the hiring, retention, or promotion of employees. We support the diversity and inclusion policy adopted by The American Public Gardens Association: to create an equitable, diverse and inclusive culture where the contributions of all community members are valued, respected and appreciated.
The Guest Services Coordinator is a working supervisory position and a critical part of our forward facing on-site welcoming committee for the organization. This position directly supports the Garden’s mission by exemplifying our core value of hospitality, providing excellent customer service and achieved by genuinely welcoming each visitor with knowledge of the Garden, and an intuitive ability to be helpful, empathetic and eager to be of service. Our Guest Services team members primarily work in the Atrium of the Robins Visitors Center which serves as our formal entry point for our members, guests, visitors, volunteers and vendors.
Responsibilities and Requirements
Under the direction of and in coordination with Guest Services Manager (GSM):
· Ensures all guests have an exceptional first and last impression of the Garden.
· Ensures staff promote the mission of bringing people and plants together to improve communities.
· Embraces the Garden’s commitment to excellence in all departments, willingly and cheerfully integrating work with the efforts of all other departments.
· Stays informed of all Garden events, classes and programs and effectively communicates this information to guests with enthusiasm.
· Oversees admissions processing, membership sales and communications, and all Visitors Center activity, while seeking opportunities to improve efficiency and effectiveness of processes and procedures.
· Ensures guest, volunteer and vendor interactions, and all modes of communications with staff in person, by phone, emails or radio are handled courteously and professionally.
· Oversees and ensures GS Associates are well trained in processing guest entry efficiently and accurately, and are provided with side tasks during slow periods of the day
· Works with GSM in determining conservative staffing schedules to ensure adequate coverage of the front line staff in balance with the ebb and flow of visitation.
· Works alongside GS Associates as part of efficiently managing periods of high visitation throughout each day in addition to completing back office administrative tasks
· Acts as a contact person in case of emergencies and reports situation to appropriate parties, using required reporting procedures, and alerting emergency personnel when necessary.
· Keeps all Visitors Center monitors, messaging and signage accurate, and up to date
· Responsible for accurate cash and credit card transactions in exchange for admission fees, membership sales and renewels, event tickets and classes; following established procedures including opening and closing of all workstations.
· Assists GS Manager with performing compilation of daily and monthly finance reports required for reconciliations, audits and special event reports.
· Oversees the coordination of self-guided bus and group tours including communications, sales, scheduling and greeting.
· Assists with daily mail processing and revenue report
· Assists with Share The Garden and Day Pass requests/processing/tracking
· Assists with the compilation and dissemination of daily attendance numbers.
· Compiles and maintains the Gardens Admissions Report that tracks daily, yearly, ongoing attendance information
· Keeps Admissions e-handbook updated with current events, policies and practices.
· Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Skills and Abilities
· Possesses excellent communication skills.
· Proficiency or ability to quickly learn POS/ticketing database and a Calendar database.
· Ability to efficiently and accurately use membership database.
· Ability to efficiently navigate the Garden’s website.
· Detail oriented and able to multi-task in a fast-paced potentially noisy environment.
· Proven ability to remain calm and problem solve in real time.
· Bilingual with a preference for conversational fluency in Spanish.
Physical Demands / Working Conditions
· Must be able to work for extended periods in one location, standing, bending and lifting.
· Must be able and willing to move periodically and quickly between departments as well as outside locations.
· Must be able to lift 20 pounds.
· Must be willing to work outside in all sorts of weather based on given assignment.
· Must be able to move around the Garden for orientation of Garden, exhibit and event locations in order to provide helpful instructions to guests, report to work locations.
Note: Duties described above, other duties and physical demands have been identified as essential.
Education and Experience
· Associates degree and 5 years experience in hospitality or retail field.
· 2 years supervisory experience
· Proficient in Outlook and Microsoft Office Products.
· Prior cashier, money handling experience.
· Efficient and accurate data base entry skills.
Employees of Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden
· Must comply with provisions of the current Employee handbook, all published personnel policies and the requirements of their individual job descriptions.
· Must perform all duties in a manner consistent with a public garden serving all individuals and families in accordance with the organizations strategic plan and directives of inclusion, diversity, equity and accessibility.
· Must be aware of surroundings and vigilant to threats to the safety of visitors, volunteers, and staff or to security of their property, ensuring that all concerns are reported promptly.
· Must report all injuries and incidents immediately and ultimately in writing to supervisor(s) and to Human Resources.
· Must ensure compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations.
· Must perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com.