Job Listing: Director of Education and Engagement
Nauticus Foundation - Norfolk, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Director of Education and Engagement
Salary - $65,000-$80,000/Annually
Job Type - Full-Time
For more info and to apply - click here.
Nauticus is a maritime discovery center located along the waterfront in downtown, Norfolk, VA, offering a unique form of experiential learning for all ages. Through interactive exhibits and STEM to STERN programming, Nauticus uses the museum, Battleship Wisconsin, Sail Nauticus sailing center, and Schooner Virginia to tell the story of the maritime environment, industry, and the military.
This position is funded by the Nauticus Foundation, the 501©3 nonprofit, raising funds to support the mission and activities of Nauticus.
In preparation for a transformative re-design of its visitor experience, Nauticus is seeking a dynamic and creative leader to oversee the education and community engagement strategies for all student and family learning initiatives. This position will be an energetic connector between Nauticus’ education curriculum/programming and the amazing community it serves.
The Director of Education and Engagement will design and implement Nauticus’ educational strategies and establish the organization as a trusted educational partner/resource within the community. The successful candidate will be responsible for setting the overarching educational vision and framework for Nauticus; the candidate will be a high-level strategist and manager who can integrate various facets of Nauticus within this educational framework. As Nauticus re-designs its entire visitor experience, the director of education and community advancement will be responsible for tying each gallery space and exhibit component to proven S.T.E.M. principles of learning/engagement.
The successful candidate will serve as an externally facing leader who will represent the organization within the community; the candidate will be responsible for developing critical partnerships with school systems, educational institutions, regional stakeholders, and donors. The successful candidate will be an engaging communicator, working in coordination with the development and marketing departments to advance the education agenda through the development of proposals, cultivation efforts, grant writing, and by garnering government and foundation support. The position is a member of the executive leadership team and reports directly to the president & CEO. The director of education and community engagement will manage Nauticus’ education team and battleship overnight program, though will play a critical role in every facet of the educational-focused organization.
· Set the overarching educational vision and framework for Nauticus. Design and implement strategies and establish Nauticus as a trusted educational partner/resource within the community.
· Guide the development and implementation of an informal, maritime-focused, STEM curriculum.
· Lead a talented team of educators in the development of digital content, on-site demonstrations, public programming, and community/classroom outreach efforts.
· Serve as the “public face” of Nauticus’ educational efforts with internal/external stakeholders, school systems, community leaders and media.
· Work with development staff to create and manage grant applications.
· Work with marketing staff to develop both static and interactive online education content for Nauticus’ website and other social platforms.
· Develop and oversee program budgets.
The successful candidate will have the following characteristics:
· 7+ years of experience in STEM education and museum program management
· Bachelor’s degree; Masters preferred.
· Dynamic personality with a high degree of comfort making public presentations, communicating with stakeholders, and liaising with media.
· Strong written and verbal skills.
· Leadership and supervisory experience including engaging and inspiring direct reports.
· Ability to collaborate with executive team members and managers.
· A flexible schedule is required as the position must be able to work some early mornings, weekend days, holidays and evenings as needed for various Nauticus programming.
This is an office-based position with occasional physical requirements for events, programs, etc. Occasional nights, weekends and holiday work will be required.
Hiring range: $65,000-$80,000. Benefits include vision, dental, IRA, paid time off, holiday.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Please include “Nauticus Director of Education & Engagement“ in the subject line. No phone calls, please – only applicants being considered for interviews will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $65,000.00 - $80,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Weekend availability
- Bachelor's (Required)
- Education administration: 7 years (Required)