Job Listing: Development Associate
The National Sporting Library and Museum is hiring a Development Associate, Middleburg, VA
Closes: February 1
The Development Associate focuses on providing support to NSLM membership, visitors, and prospective donors. This position reports to the Director of Development.
The Development Associate will assist the Director of Development in updating and fact checking the donor database. This position is responsible to mail out timely renewal letters and will access donor database for the purposes of mail merges for renewal and thank you letters, creating templates for these letters.
The Development Associate will work in conjunction with the Director of Development and Executive Director to create and execute prospect mailings, Annual Appeal, spring appeal, Giving Tuesday, and other drives to increase membership and annual giving, as well as the accompanying social media and email plans.
The Development Associate will help the Director of Development with all special events, to include donor dinners, exhibition opening receptions, and the Polo Classic. This position will also oversee the planning of the Open Late summer concerts and accompanying grant applications/sponsorship. Online registration and tickets sales for events will be overseen through the database as needed. The Development Associate will also coordinate facility rentals.
Attends Senior Staff, Capital Campaign & Development Committee, and Polo Classic Committee meetings, and provides reports of major activities and issues to the Director of Development and Executive Director. Engage with the Board of Directors on behalf of the Executive Director.
This is a full-time exempt salaried position. Additional work hours will depend upon events scheduled. Rotating weekend schedule. See below for anticipated salary.
- Coordinate timely mailing of membership renewal reminders and thank you letters for all donations
- Maintain donor database through data entry for membership renewals, donations, ticket purchases, event attendance, etc.
- Write solicitation and thank you letters, newsletter articles, materials for sponsorship solicitations, etc. as directed by the Director for Development
- Work in conjunction with the Executive Director and Director of Development to develop Annual Appeal Campaign including the creation of content for segmented appeals and working with the Marketing Manager on design
- Generate and mail tax acknowledgement letters under the oversight of the Director of Development
- Conduct research on current donors and donor prospects, and add research to donor database
- Work with Director of Development and Marketing and Communications Manager to create and execute a comprehensive plan for Giving Tuesday, including social media and email plan
- Work with Director of Development and Marketing and Communications Manager to develop and schedule Development related social media posts
- Create all membership and giving reports for Board presentations, NSLM newsletters, annual report, and any other time under direction of the Director of Development and Executive Director
- Provide mailing lists to Marketing and Communications Manager for newsletters, event invitations, etc.
- Update member email addresses for Constant Contact
- Assist with donor pipeline management
- Monthly updates to member listing on NSLM website, yearly updates to TV monitors, and weekly updates to membership list provided for Front Desk Staff
- Plan Open Late summer concerts (4) and oversee associated grants/sponsorship
- Schedule and coordinate bands, sound system, beer & wine, food truck(s), partner organizations
- Communicate with partner organizations to promote event
- Complete and submit sponsorship/grant application through the Town of Middleburg
- Work with Director of Development and Marketing and Communications Manager to design materials and schedule for event marketing
- Plan staffing and serve as staff lead for all concerts
- Coordinate facility rentals
- Assist with Polo Classic
- Assist Director of Development in liaising with sponsors
- Attend Polo Classic Committee meetings and take notes
- Coordinate online ticket sales through database
- Coordinate parking pass and ticket mailings
- Coordinate event volunteers
- Other event tasks
- Coordinate food and beverages for exhibition openings, educational programs, and meetings of the Board of Directors
- Assist Director of Development with annual donor dinners/events (including spring lenders dinner and fall Vine Hill Society event)
- Coordinate all kitchen needs (tablecloths, liquor cabinet, plastic ware, etc.)
- Manage event RSVPs
- Order ABC permits for all events (including Educational Program Receptions)
- Timely return of emails and phone calls
- Collect mail from Post Office daily
- Proofread materials including Newsletter, donor listings, invitations, and brochures
- Handle communication to and from members of the Board regarding Board meeting details
- Handle the administrative expenses of the Executive Director – collect receipts, code expenses and submit to bookkeeper, track all expenses and submit for personal reimbursement as needed, reconcile monthly P&L and submit quarterly expenses for Executive Committee reimbursement
- Highly detail oriented
- Excellent writing and verbal skills
- Serve as an on and off-site representative to educate the public about the NSLM and solicit support
- Attend professional development when offered
- Technical skills: Required: Microsoft Office Suite (including Word, Excel, and Outlook); email; calendaring; Google Docs; mail merges; CRM Database knowledge (eTapestry); Preferred: CMS systems (Expression Engine); Mass Email tools; Social Media
New Assignments: As assigned by the Director of Development or Executive Director
Application: Send cover letter, resume, and contact information of three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, February 1