Job Listing-Cultural Arts Coordinator
City of Suffolk-Cultural Arts Coordinator
Parks & Recreation
3/24/2023 11:59 AM Eastern
Under general supervision, performs various administrative tasks and assignments to support the development of public programming. This position is responsible for establishing the artistic policy of the Suffolk Art Gallery and managing its day-to-day operations, taking responsibility for both permanent collections and artwork for specific exhibitions. This position exhibits work by artists and creates high levels of interest among the art community and the public. Provides guidance to assigned subordinate staff. Reports to the Recreation Manager.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential job functions satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary job functions herein described. Since every duty associated with this position may not be described herein, employees may be required to perform duties not specifically spelled out in the job description, but which may be reasonably considered to be incidental in the performing of their duties just as though they were actually written out in this job description.
Essential Job Functions
- Plans, researches, develops, curates and installs art gallery exhibits as well as develops and conducts programming for exhibits.
- Supervises, oversees and evaluates assigned staff; processes employee concerns and problems; directs work; counsels, disciplines, and conducts evaluations; coordinates, work; organizes priorities and assigns work; ensures compliance with all applicable codes, laws, rules, regulations, standards, policies and procedures.
- Ensures adherence to established safety procedures; monitors work environment and use of safety equipment; ensures safety of employees and other individuals; initiates actions necessary to correct deviations or violations.
- Plans, implements, and organizes events and programs for the public; conducts program evaluations and utilizes findings for future planning activities.
- Recruits volunteers to assist in implementing recreational and cultural and visual arts programming; supervises volunteers during programs and events.
- Assists in marketing activities by soliciting public and private sponsorships, collaborations, and partnerships.
- Participates in marketing and advertising for all types of programs; attends community meetings; prepares presentations; and develops outreach projects for cultural and visual arts programs.
- Conducts surveys and statistical studies on City demographics.
- Provides assistance with special events and projects as assigned.
- Receives and responds to citizen inquiries and requests; connects citizens to proper staff for assistance.
- Receives incoming calls, provides information and assists visitors to the department as needed; performs clerical tasks as needed.
- Operates a personal computer and other equipment necessary to complete essential functions to include word processing, e-mail and other programs.
- Communicates with supervisors, employees, other departments, vendors, the public and outside agencies; attends various meetings as required.
- Develops, curates & installs all art gallery exhibits as well as develops and conducts programming for exhibits.
- Conducts the preservation, and cataloging of permanent collection.
- Plans, researches and develops exhibits.
- Develops and designs marketing materials, exhibit guides, and educational materials for exhibits/events.
- Identifies grant sources and writes grant proposals.
- Assists in the development and monitoring of budgets.
- Supervises and coordinates program activities for youth, teens, adults and seniors; and coordinates the activities of cultural and visual arts programs.
- Plans and implements a two week youth and teen summer art camp.
- Curate and coordinate an annual juried exhibit.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Bachelor's degree in Art, Art History, Museum and Gallery Studies, Parks and Recreation Management or related field with a minimum of 3 to 5 years of experience involving cultural and visual arts programming, event planning, marketing, and fund solicitation; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job. Experience with curating, installing, and cataloging art work and art collections preferred. Requires valid driver's license.
- Knowledge of the policies, procedures, and activities of the City and or departmental practices as they pertain to the performance of duties relating to the position of Cultural Arts Coordinator.
- Knowledge and understanding of the principles of management and is able to provide effective supervision to assigned subordinate staff.
- Knowledge of the terminology, principles and methods utilized within the department.
- Knowledge and understanding of the principles of marketing and promotions and is able to assist in marketing activities by soliciting public and private sponsorships, collaborations, and partnerships.
- Ability to perform various professional administrative tasks and assignments to support the development of public programming.
- Ability to supervise, lead and coordinate program activities.
- Ability to demonstrate organizational skills to coordinate the activities of cultural and visual arts programs.
- Ability to effectively recruit volunteers for recreation, cultural and visual arts and support service programs.
- Ability to keep abreast of any changes in policy, methods, administrative changes, or related operations updates as they pertain to departmental operations and activities.
- Ability to implement policy changes within the department and ensure adherence to all establishes guidelines, procedures and policies.
- Ability to effectively communicate and interact with subordinates, supervisors and members of the general public, and all other groups involved in the activities of the department.
- Ability to assemble information and make written reports and documents in a concise, clear, and effective manner.
- Ability to use independent judgment and work with little direct supervision as situations warrant.
- Ability to uses mathematical formulas to perform required calculations; use addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division; the ability to calculate decimals and percentages; the ability to utilize principles of fractions; and the ability to interpret graphs.
- Knowledge and proficiency of computers and software programs typically utilized in the position.
- Ability to read, understand, and interpret technical reports and related materials.
- Ability to review, classify, categorize, prioritize, and/or analyze data, includes exercising discretion in determining data classification, and in referencing such analysis to established standards for the purpose of recognizing actual or probable interactive effects and relationships.
- Ability to apply principles of persuasion and/or influence over others in coordinating activities of a project, program, or designated area of responsibility.
- Ability to read a variety of reports, informational and technical documentation, directions, instructions, and methods and procedures.
- Ability to write reports with proper format, punctuation, spelling and grammar, using all parts of speech.
- Ability to speak with and before others with poise, voice control, and confidence using correct English and well-modulated voice.
- Ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving evaluation of information against measurable or verifiable criteria.
- Ability to utilize a wide variety of reference, descriptive, and/or advisory data and information.
- Ability to inspect items for proper length, width, and shape, visually with job-related equipment.
City of Suffolk
442 W. Washington Street, Suite 1044
Suffolk, Virginia, 23434
Information about benefits and Questions attached to the application can be found on the following page: