Job Listing: Assistant Director, Direct Response Fundraising
Colonial Williamsburg – Williamsburg, VA
Closes - Open until closed
Position Title – Assistant Director, Direct Response Fundraising
Salary - Range
Job Type - Regular Full-Time 37.5+hrs per week
Apply: Click Here
Summary Job Description
The Assistant Director, Direct Response Fundraising is a vital member of the Annual Giving & Memberships team in the Development Office. The Assistant Director reports to the Executive Director of Annual Giving & Memberships and leads a team of managers and service providers. With Executive Director, the Assistant Director builds direct mail fundraising strategies and oversees the implementation of those strategies. The Assistant Director serves as the lead strategist and operations manager for the Colonial Williamsburg Fund’s donor solicitations: annual membership renewals, new donor acquisition appeals, upgrade appeals and special appeals.
The Assistant Director is the architect of the department’s annual communication and solicitation production plan which includes collaboration with vendors and internal stakeholders for direct mail and electronic outreach. The Assistant Director’s work will primarily focus on building and implementing program strategy, as well as project management, with an emphasis on the Foundation's robust donor acquisition program from concept to implementation, utilizing direct mail, email, social media, and display ads. Additionally, this position will be responsible for creating and managing project budgets, monitoring key performance indicators, tracking and analyzing results and file trends, and recommending tests and improvements to increase campaign and program performance. The Assistant Director, Direct Response Fundraising insight and direction is instrumental in securing long-term program health and achieving campaign goals.
1. Partners with colleagues to develop a strategic marketing and communications blueprint for a successful annual giving and other mass appeals, which includes A/B testing and proven industry techniques
2. Reenergizes the new donor acquisition program, working with list brokerage firm to target specific demographics and develops and implements unique concepts that introduces CW and inspires philanthropy.
3. To update stakeholders and inform strategy changes to improve established key performance indicators
4. Assists in developing annual expense budget required to execute the department’s fundraising plans and reach annual donation revenue goal
5. Develops strategy to cost-effectively attain new donors with high lifetime value to support the major giving pipeline.
Develops Story/Letter ideas that strategically bring our theme message to life.
1. Works independently to approve content through all stages of work: submit drafts, complete text, coordinate clearance processes, synchronize revisions from various stakeholders, and finalize written product, ask strings and fulfills additional outreach assignments as needed (such as annual giving day, and the annual report)
2. Manages the workflow and execution of all direct mail projects ensuring adherence to expensed budget, cost effectiveness and works collaboratively with all Development team members to ensure that solicitations are approved, tested, and sent out on time
3. Works with mail houses, oversee, and manage the distribution logistics for direct mail; manages financial operations for all direct marketing projects and collaborate with the Foundation’s Accounting Department when needed
4. Serves as the primary troubleshooter and relationship manager with third-party providers and vendors, as well as subject matter expert for the department, providing training and guidance.
Supervision to be Exercised: Manager, Direct Response Fundraising; Manager, Annual Giving Data & Analytics; and Contractors/
Schedule: Regular/FT; 37.5 hours weekly; occasional evenings and weekends; Position will operate from the central office up to three fixed days a week and can be remote for two to three fixed days a week.
Required and Preferred Education and Experience:
Required: 5 - 8 years of annual giving experience with proven new donor acquisition and direct marketing mail experience, and at least 3 years of supervisory experience.
Preferred: An advanced degree in Marketing or similar field, 10 years of substantive, progressively responsible experience in annual giving, direct marketing or non-profit/academic fundraising and 3+ years of experience managing a team that includes 3rd party vendors.
· Strong understanding of direct mail fundraising and acquiring donors
· Experience in mid to large sized nonprofit organizations with robust direct mail programs
· Experience managing teams and vendors
· Experience with list brokerages, list management, and nonprofit cooperative databases (models)
· Proven ability to simultaneously manage multiple complex projects
· Ability to effectively evaluate art and photography
· Exceptional analytical, creative and communication skills with advanced knowledge of Excel.
· Strong written and verbal skills, with emphasis on proofreading
· Strong database skills, experience with Office 365 and related applications
· Excellent organizational skills and ability to coordinate schedules
· Ability to work effectively in a diverse, complex environment
· Elevated level of independence and able to work with minimal supervision