Job Listing: Performing Arts Manager
Suffolk Center for Cultural Arts- Suffolk, Virginia
Closes - Open until filled
Position Title – Performing Arts Manager
Job Type - Full Time
Apply: Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls, please. Applications received by May 30, 2023, will receive priority consideration; however, applications will be accepted until the position is filled. A cover letter, submitted at the time the resume is submitted, is required for applications to be considered.
The Suffolk Center for Cultural Arts is now accepting applications for the position of Performing Arts Manager. This is a full-time position with benefits. The Performing Arts Manager oversees all performances at the Suffolk Center. Working closely with the Executive Director and Creative Director, this position oversees the box office and ticket sales, technical and artistic operations, and theater management. This is an exciting opportunity for a creative professional who has a passion for engaging the community through the performing arts. This position reports to the Creative Director.
• Oversees all performances held at the Suffolk Center.
• Develops and manages season calendar with the Creative Director.
• Develops and tracks season/annual budget and develops budgets and financial reports for individual performances.
• Ascertains theater needs, including lighting, sound, seating, and other equipment, and capital needs.
• Identifies, schedules, and books diverse performers aligning with the Center’s mission, serving as primary liaison with artists/managers/agents, securing riders, overseeing contracts, assisting with production and back-line details, and overseeing tech needs all while working within a set budget. Serves as blockhead as needed to collaborate with presenting partners.
• Oversees all artist hospitality (including meals and hotels), meet and greets, concessions, and merchandise sales.
• Acts as house manager day of show, or coordinates house manager.
• Hires, supervises, and coordinates with box office and technical staff, including technical director, lighting and sound engineers, and technician assistants.
• Oversees box office and ticket sales.
• Works with marketing and development staff to promote performances at the Suffolk Center. Gathers all necessary marketing and showcase materials from agents and artists, and coordinates audience development initiatives.
• Works to secure performances for Student Matinees and other programs involving community and local school participation.
• Manages and oversees the Community Theater program in tandem with the Creative Director.
• Works with finance staff to ensure timely and accurate payment of all performers, technical staff, and other vendors related to performances.
• Works with facilities staff to ensure the safety of guests, staff, and performers within the theater, and to ensure the professional appearance of theater facilities.
• Participates as part of the creative team across the Suffolk Center, working with education and gallery staff. Integrates performing arts programs with visual arts and educational endeavors at the Center.
• Works with the Executive Director, development staff, marketing staff, and others to support fundraising efforts for programs to ensure the financial sustainability of the Center.
• Assists with special events/fundraisers at the Center when needed. • Creates monthly board report of programming for the Creative Director.
• Execute other responsibilities as determined by the Creative Director.
• Background or in-depth knowledge of at least one form of performing arts, such as music, dance, and/or theater.
• Though not required, demonstrated experience working in a theater or performing arts facility is a strong plus, including experience in ticketing, box office management, and/or theater equipment and systems.
• Experience in and understanding of working with entertainment contracts along with strong negotiating skills.
• At least one year of management experience, including experience supervising staff. • Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Demonstrated organization and time management skills.
• Flexible, practical, creative approach.
• Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills, including an ability to build relationships with artists, community partners, customers, clients, sponsors, and donors.
• Basic knowledge of marketing concepts and fundraising is a plus.
• Financial acumen, including the ability to create a budget and track expenses and sales.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
• Associate or bachelor’s degree is preferred, but commensurate experience will be considered.
• Commitment to diversity, inclusion, and the Center’s mission for promoting the arts in Suffolk.
This is a full-time, permanent position within the Suffolk Center, budgeted for 40 hours per week. Evening and weekend hours will be required for performances, receptions, and special events. Benefits for this position include medical and dental insurance; paid time off for vacation, sick time, holidays, and more; and an employer match toward a SIMPLE IRA retirement plan.
To apply: Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please. Applications received by May 30, 2023, will receive priority consideration; however, applications will be accepted until the position is filled. A cover letter, submitted at the time the resume is submitted, is required for applications to be considered.
About the Suffolk Center
The Suffolk Center for Cultural Arts is the premier visual and performing arts venue for Suffolk and Western Tidewater. Our mission is to cultivate and promote the creative arts for all residents and visitors through programs and education. Located in the heart of downtown Suffolk, our historic building houses a 500-seat theater, where we host concerts, dance performances, dramatic works, films, lectures, and so much more. The Suffolk Center is home to two art galleries, which host an ever-changing array of visual art exhibitions. The Center has a robust educational program and offers a multitude of classes for the community, such as dance, painting, singing, pottery, drawing, and more, and we host summer camps and send artists to local schools to bring the arts to young people. We are a nonprofit organization with a staff of 15 and dozens of volunteers. We are committed to supporting the economic vitality of Suffolk by enhancing the life experiences of our citizens and visitors.
Fulfilling our mission requires a commitment to inclusiveness in every aspect of our organization—our programming, operations, outreach, and leadership. We recognize that we can succeed only when our organization fully reflects the richness of the communities we serve. The Suffolk Center for Cultural Arts
supports diversity across all lines of difference, including race, age, economic circumstance, ethnicity, sex, range of ability, religion, sexual orientation, and gender identity/expression. We invite applicants from all backgrounds for this position.
For more information, visit our website: www.suffolkcenter.org.