Job Listing: Visitor Experiences Manager
Historic Smithfield - Blacksburg, VA
Closes - Open until filled
Position Title – Visitor Experiences Manager
Salary - Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience.
Job Type - Full-Time
Apply: send a curriculum vitae and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Historic Smithfield seeks to inspire a new generation of Americans through the stories and values of the Preston Family and all those who lived at Smithfield. These values are liberty, courage, leadership, education, and justice.
Summary of Purpose
The Visitor Experiences Manager at Historic Smithfield oversees the day-to-day business and programmatic functions for the organization. This person works closely with the Executive Director to translate the organization’s strategic plan and vision into day-to-day operations.
1. Trains and manages part-time staff and volunteers.
2. Assists Executive Director in coaching and evaluating all part-time staff and volunteers 3. Assists in site rental arrangements and preparations.
4. Manages contractors involved in program enhancement (artisans, musicians, reenactors).
5. Builds field trip audiences through strong communication with area schools and the alignment of programming with Virginia’s Standards of Learning.
6. Ensures site readiness for operations and special events.
7. Provides expertise on various committees, including, but not limited to collections committee.
8. Acts as Recording Secretary for Board of Directors meetings. Generates detailed reports on Executive activities and Board meeting minutes.
9. Provides a high level of hospitality and service for all guests and staff. 10. Helps protect artifacts, structures, and landscapes from damage.
11. Works in several varied capacities with a small staff to make the museum and its programming successful.
12. Performs other duties as necessary.
● Bachelor’s Degree in Nonprofit Management, Business, Business Administration, Public History, or some other related field.
● Experience in museum programming and/or material culture may be preferred.
● Demonstrated ability to lead a team of part-time staff and volunteers.
● Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office is necessary.
● Proficiency with Square, Squarespace, and Canva are preferred.
● Must have weekday, some weekend, some holiday, and some evening availability.
● Strong interpersonal skills with fluent oral and written communication skills. Ability to work independently, recognize needs, and take initiative when necessary
● Ability to balance multiple projects, set deadlines, and keep teammates informed.
● Possesses a polished and professional demeanor.
● Must be able to work independently and as a member of a team.
● Must feel comfortable and confident handling and counting money - cash, checks and credit cards.
Physical, Mental, Environmental Considerations
a. Standing/walking - constantly
b. Climbing stairs - frequently
c. Sitting - constantly
d. Lifting - occasionally, up to ~30lbs
a. Normal with corrective lenses
a. Observation, analysis, interpretation, decision making.
b. Ability to process and synthesize complex information.
c. Ability to understand basic mathematic functions.
d. Should be able to work under pressure and around large crowds of varying ages.
a. Will work in various environments: office, historic structures, outdoors in all weather conditions, and collections storage areas.
b. May encounter dust, wood and coal smoke, and other allergens.
c. Must be able to work in indoor and outdoor locations in all seasons (including sunny and inclement weather) during the course of a work day.
d. Ability to come prepared to work outside (daily garden maintenance, trash collection etc.) regardless of weather conditions.
Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience.
Applicants are encouraged to submit a curriculum vitae and cover letter via e-mail to email@example.com
This position will remain open until filled.