Job Listing: Visitor Experience Specialist
Fort Monroe Authority - Fort Monroe, VA
Closes - Open until filled
Position Title – Visitor Experience Specialist
Salary - $36,800-$41,800
Job Type - Full-Time
Apply: please apply at email@example.com. Resume and cover letter must be submitted to be considered for this position.
Work Conditions: Office environment in a combination of areas: historic fortress, general grounds area, museum building, visitor center. Moderate lifting; ability to climb ladders. 40-hour work week, 8:30 am-5:00 pm Tues-Sat; may require some evening and/or weekend work. Telework or alternate work schedule not authorized.
Reports to: Director of Museums, Education and Interpretation
The Visitor Experience Specialist (VES) is responsible for ensuring each visitor receives outstanding customer service by providing a friendly environment which includes greeting and acknowledging every visitor, answering questions, maintaining outstanding professional standards, and possessing thorough knowledge of the galleries and exhibits in the Fort Monroe Visitor and Education Center and Casemate Museum. In addition, the VES conducts research on topics relevant to Fort Monroe’s history to explore ways to expand offerings for visitor experiences. The position requires close work with National Park Services personnel and NPS Rangers at the Fort Monroe National Monument. Must have an understanding of interpretive standards and how they are applied in a public history venue.
· Welcome and orient visitors by offering assistance in a warm and friendly manner, ensuring all programs, exhibitions and services are properly communicated to visitors
· Evaluate visitor experience and recommends changes as needed
· Monitor maintenance of interactives and ensures proper functioning
· Represent FMA and MEI as needed during special events and in welcoming tour groups.
· Assist in access efforts to ensure ADA compliance
· Respond to inquiries in person, by telephone and email
· Be knowledgeable about the history of Fort Monroe, the exhibits and gallery displays in the museum and visitor center
· Assist in the creation of the interpretive plan; update outdoor interpretive panels
· Provide information about programs and special events. Coordinate with Special Events staff to ensure a high level of Visitor Experience is achieved
· Create and conduct visitor orientations, tours and special behind-the-scene programs
· Set expectations and makes suggestions for the visitor’s experience through effective listening and communication related to the visitor’s itinerary and agenda
· Assist with overseeing of part-time employees working at the Visitor & Education Center and Casemate Museum
· Assist with overseeing volunteers and interns working on special projects
· Open and close the VEC and CM as required
· Maintain proper appearance of the front desk area including visitor orientation, and inventory of brochures and other printed materials
· Perform ticketing for museum entrance, special experiences, tour and other programs
· Troubleshoot visitor problems, answers museum telephone line, and routes calls as necessary
· Collaborate and provide support to the Educational Programs and Public Programs Managers
· Update all public signage to ensure it is timely and accurate
· Take reservations for field trips, group sales and other special experiences or events and processes them in a timely and efficient manner
· Ensure public spaces are set-up and tidy for general operations and all types of programming. Take appropriate action regarding access, safety, or security issues
· Support program and event execution, including special visits, exhibitions, educational programming and outreach programs
· Conduct historical research to expand interpretation and contribute to the development of new programs and tours
· Work on special projects in collaboration with the National Park Service to develop enhanced visitor experiences
· Assist with the volunteer program as directed by the Visitor Engagement Manager
· Track attendance, receive visitor feedback, and collect visitor contact and other information
· Make recommendations to interpretive signage
· Perform routine tasks as assigned by Visitor Engagement Manager; anticipate daily needs of ongoing activities
· Operate front desk during closed and open days, including administrative and operations support tasks
· Work on special projects needed by the FMA
· Perform other duties as assigned
Education: Bachelor’s degree required in history, public history, or other related field.
Experience: Minimum of three (3) years of visitor or customer service experience preferably in a museum or attraction setting. Must be able to use Microsoft Office Suite.
Or combination of Education and Experience.
Note: All full-time employees are required to contribute 5% of annual salary toward their retirement account; in accordance with VRS retirement provisions. This will be handled through a pre-tax payroll deduction.
At the Fort Monroe Authority, we are committed to creating and sustaining an agency culture affirming and respecting diversity. We aim to recruit, develop and retain talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Fort Monroe Authority is committed to employing inclusive practices in our daily operations and is proud to be an EEO workplace and employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, pregnancy, genetic information, protected veteran status, national origin and religion or any other characteristic protected by law.
This posting will be posted as open until filled. If interested, please apply at firstname.lastname@example.org. Resume and cover letter must be submitted to be considered for this position.