Job Listing: Visitor Engagement Manager
Fort Monroe Authority - Hampton, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Visitor Engagement Manager
Salary - $37,840-$42,570/Annually
Job Type - Full-Time
To learn more and apply, click here.
Position: Visitor Engagement Manager
Department: Museums, Education and Interpretation
FSLA Status: Full Time, Exempt
Work Conditions: Office environment in a combination of areas: historic fortress, general grounds area, museum building, visitor center. Moderate lifting; ability to climb ladders. 40-hour work week, 8:30 am-5:00 pm M-F; may require some evening and/or weekend work. Telework or alternate work schedule not authorized.
Reports to: Director of Museums, Education and Interpretation
Are you looking for a challenging and meaningful career that reflects on the past, embraces change and is engaged with the future? If so, Fort Monroe Authority (FMA) is dedicated to helping people reach their career goals and at the same time a great place to work, learn and play! In its long history, Fort Monroe has witnessed many significant events.
We are currently looking to fill a Visitor Engagement Manager in our Museum, Education and Interpretation Department at the Fort Monroe Authority. This position includes state employee benefits to include health benefits; membership in the Virginia Retirement System; 13 paid holidays; annual leave; sick leave; group life insurance and other related Commonwealth of Virginia employee benefits.
The Visitor Engagement Manager (VEM) is responsible for the management and development of all visitor engagement and operational activities in the Fort Monroe Visitor and Education Center (VEC) and the Casemate Museum (CM) ensuring the delivery of an exceptional visitor experience. The VEM oversees the visitor center functions for Fort Monroe Authority, museum admission, guest experience, and the volunteer program. The VEM manages all logistical matters related to the visitor experience. This includes: overseeing admissions, selling tickets, scheduling groups and tours; group check-in, providing group orientation; monitoring and addressing visitor problems and concerns; observing and monitoring all activities and supports all MEI programs. The VEM oversees the Visitor Engagement staff, including full time and part time staff, as well as seasonal interns and volunteers. The VEM acts as a liaison to the Hampton Roads Convention Center and Visitor Bureau and the National Park Service supporting operating agreements revolving around the Fort Monroe Visitor and Education Center.
Maintain a model Visitor Engagement program focusing on an excellent visitor experience with low inconvenience and high safety and cleanliness standards, including a clean, organized, professional front desk area
- Create a monthly staffing plan ensuring adequate coverage based on needs and be prepared to cover open shifts when necessary
- Conduct and oversee daily opening and closing procedures, coordinate breaks and lunches, provide coverage personally as necessary and generates daily reports
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with MEI and FMA personnel and departments such as Educational Programs Manager, Public Programs Manager, Communications, and Special Events
- Operate and oversee ticketing of museum visitors, tours and special experiences
- Ensure all reservations for field trips, group sales and other special experiences or events are processed timely and efficiently
- Conduct and oversee invoicing and payment collection and communicates with other MEI and FMA staff about field trips, tours etc
- Ensure a high quality of service and a high level of visitor satisfaction through oversight of all aspects of the full cycle of the visitor experience at the VEC and museum, including customer service, visitor safety and Fort Monroe information
- Provide input to the FMA Communications Department ensuring information about tours, special programs, Fort Monroe history, special exhibitions, and programs are effectively shared with the public and by the Visitor Engagement staff
- Address directly special visitor needs, issues, or incidents appropriately and in a timely manner, and handle difficult and sensitive visitor issues escalated beyond the manager level
- Oversee daily Visitor Engagement operations, and proactively assess and recommend enhancements and improvements that are aligned with the MEI mission and budget
- Collaborate and communicate in a highly productive and effective way with MEI staff and FMA on programs, events, operations, security, and other staff on all visitor-related issues
- Manage safety and accessibility of public areas, and manage compliance with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements for the VEC and CM
- Ensure professional appearance and maintenance of front- and back-of-house Visitor Engagement areas, including public desks, office, break room, and temporary work spaces
- Oversee responsibilities, tasks, and workflow of Visitor Engagement staff to ensure smooth and efficient department operations
- Provides input and guidance, and participate as necessary in the recruiting, hiring, training, supervision, and performance management of Visitor Engagement staff
- Develop, liaise with other departments, and participate as necessary in effective staff training programs, including about exhibition and program content, work safety, museum history, museum activities and programs, and visitor amenities
- Direct Visitor Engagement administration and provide input to budgeting, including building short- and long-term goals, developing and improving policies and procedures, and managing projects
- Provides input to manage policies and procedures improving staff performance, maximize resources, and streamline operations
- Design, build and execute the FMA volunteer program in support of the MEI mission encompassing also the VEC and CM
- Organize and coordinate volunteer recruitment for MEI. Promote volunteer opportunities and coordinate support volunteer placement in other MEI areas of responsibility
- Assists with the coordination for an annual volunteer recognition program and maintain records for recurring report requirements
- Generate a variety of attendance reports for use in grant writing, attendance tracking, marketing, and education. Provide information for the preparation of report requirements including visitor research and evaluation activities
- Manage the ordering of supplies for the VEC
- Utilize ticketing and event planning software program such as Gateway Ticketing, Event-Brite or Ticketure
- Perform other duties as assigned
Education: Bachelor’s degree in administration, history, public history, or museum studies preferred
Experience: Minimum of five (5) years of visitor or customer service experience preferably in a museum or attraction setting. Must be able to use Microsoft Office Suite
Or combination of Education and Experience.
Note: All full-time employees are required to contribute 5% of annual salary toward their retirement account; in accordance with VRS retirement provisions. This will be handled through a pre-tax payroll deduction.
The Commonwealth of Virginia requires all Executive Branch employees, including new hires, rehires or transfers to disclose their vaccination status upon hire. Disclosure of vaccination status (and for those fully vaccinated, proof of vaccination) will be required during new employee orientation on your first day of work. If you are not vaccinated for any reason or choose not to disclose your vaccination status, you will be required to be tested for COVID-19 once per week on an indefinite basis.
At the Fort Monroe Authority, we are committed to creating and sustaining an agency culture affirming and respecting diversity. We aim to recruit, develop and retain talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Fort Monroe Authority is committed to employing inclusive practices in our daily operations and is proud to be an EEO workplace and employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, pregnancy, genetic information, protected veteran status, national origin and religion or any other characteristic protected by law.