Job Listing: Museum Technician
James Madison's Montpelier - Orange, VA
Closes - October 2022
Position Title – Museum Technician
Salary - $16 - $18/hr
Job Type - full time/ 35 hour per week position. Anticipated starting schedule Sunday -Thursday.
Apply : Send resume or CV and a Cover Letter and apply on our website Here.
As a member of the Curatorial and Collections Department, the Museum Technician provides the primary support for the routine maintenance and preventative conservation activities for the Fine and Decorative Arts Collection at Montpelier. This includes maintaining the stability, cleanliness, and safety of the historic interiors and collections in Montpelier’s exhibition and collections storage spaces.
Provides the primary hands-on collections care for the Decorative Arts Collection:
○ Completes daily/weekly/monthly hands-on object cleaning and housekeeping in the historic interiors and collections spaces, using knowledge of professional standards for collections care.
○ Practices proper care and handling of fragile and delicate museum objects in all tasks.
○ Conducts daily/weekly/monthly walkthroughs of the collection and exhibition spaces to monitor condition. This includes the house and South Yard Spaces, Visitor Center Galleries, Collections Storage Spaces, the Train Depot & Gilmore Cabin, and other spaces as needed.
○ Routinely cleans objects, such as paper, textiles, wood, metal, glass, pottery, and furniture using curatorial approved techniques and agents, including cleansers, solvents, soap solutions, and polishes.
○ Assists with monitoring collections environments, including integrated pest management, temperature and humidity monitoring and light level monitoring.
○ Notiﬁes supervisor of any structural or artifact-related problem, especially when conservation or object safety measures are needed. Provides general departmental support as needed:
○ Assists with special projects, such as installing, arranging, assembling, preparing, and moving artifacts for exhibition or storage, including objects on loan to Montpelier.
○ Assists with registration tasks essential for maintenance of curatorial accession, loan, and research ﬁles.
■ Including preparing and ﬁling collections documentation, object numbering and condition reporting, and database maintenance.
○ When needed, serves as an approved object courier for incoming and outgoing loans, new acquisitions, etc.
○ Works with staff and outside contractors when work is performed in the vicinity of collections, including media access.
○ Provides administrative and event support.
Contributes to digital materials such as social media posts or blog posts, as needed.
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in history, art history, preservation, or museum studies.
- Knowledge of object handling practices and procedures, preferably in a museum setting.
- Knowledge of computers and software including word processing; experience with collections management software, particularly Re: discovery Proﬁcio, a plus.
- Ability to work ﬂexible schedule, including early hours and/or after business hours, weekends.
- Ability to balance individual duties with multiple and changing priorities within department.
- Ability to work independently.
- Strong, positive interpersonal skills
- High energy self-starter.
- Ability to maintain accurate records; excellent visual recall; the ability to make connections between disparate data; good organizational skills; attention to detail.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds minimum and be willing to work in a variety of indoor and outdoor settings.
- Must maintain a current Virginia driver’s license and be able to drive a van and golf cart.