Job Listing: Museum Interpreter
Morven Park, Westmoreland Davis Memorial Foundation - Leesburg, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Museum Interpreter
Salary - Based on experience.
Job Type - Part-Time
To Apply - Submit brief cover letter, resume, and references to Employment@MorvenPark.org
Morven Park is a non-profit 1,000-acre historic property in Loudoun County, Virginia, hosting three museums, a robust civics education programs, and a world-class equestrian center. Morven Park’s Preservation & History department is responsible for the care, preservation, and interpretation of the Davis Mansion and Winmill Carriage Museum. To learn more, visit www.MorvenPark.org.
As a member of the Preservation & History department, reporting to the Director of Preservation & History, the part-time Museum Interpreter position assists the Museum Services Coordinator in the daily operations of the museums at Morven Park.
The Morven Park museums are open Thursdays – Mondays, 11:45 am – 5:15 pm from March through December. The part-time Museum Interpreter will be expected to work a minimum of six (6) 5.5 hour shifts per month when the museums are open. There will be no shifts available during January and February.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with museum opening and closing procedures.
- Welcome visitors in the Visitor Center and provide information about Morven Park. Sell tour tickets, Morven Park memberships, and gift shop items.
- Lead visitors on a guided 45-minute tour through the Davis Mansion.
- Greet visitors to the Winmill Carriage Museum and ensure they have a safe and informative visit.
- Complete light cleaning as required to create a welcoming space for visitors.
Position Skills & Qualifications
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
- Desire and ability to work with visitors of all ages and background.
- Passion for sharing history.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Knowledge of early 20th century Virginia history a plus, but not required.
- Previous experience in the field of history, museums, or teaching are helpful but not required.
- Position requires frequent sitting, standing, climbing stairs, and walking for extended periods.
Training on the historic period, tour information, museum collections, and the gift shop sales system will be provided.
Applications: Submit brief cover letter, resume, and references to Employment@MorvenPark.org or apply through our Indeed.com listing.
The Foundation provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, service in the military, or any other characteristic or category protected under applicable federal or state law. Equal opportunity applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation, and training. All employment decisions at the Foundation are based on merit, qualifications, and abilities.