Job Listing: Museum Director
Reedville Fishermen’s Museum - Reedville, VA
Closes - Open until closed
Position Title – Museum Director
Salary - $60,000 to $70,000
Job Type - Full-Time
Apply at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Greater Reedville Association, known as Reedville Fishermen’s Museum (RFM), is a 501 (c)(3)
nonprofit organization located in the village of Reedville, Virginia. RFM’s mission is to protect and share
the maritime history of Reedville and the lower Chesapeake Bay by acquiring, documenting, interpreting,
and displaying historically important artifacts and oral histories in our museum’s galleries and exhibits.
RFM’s campus is home to a world class collection of traditional Chesapeake Bay watercrafts, including two
nationally and historically recognized vessels: the Claude Somers, a 42’ skipjack; and the Elva C., a 55’ deck
boat. Our campus also includes a monument to fallen watermen, a gallery size model train display, a
working boat shop, a 19th century historic home, and a venue hall.
RFM is currently seeking a full-time Museum Director who will report to its Board of Directors and act as
the public face of the Museum. This position will require support of Museum events outside of the normal
workday. Salary range of $60,000 to $70,000. Benefits include: $10,000 healthcare stipend, 3 weeks PTO,
Federal Holidays, Potential retirement plan contribution at the Board’s discretion. Start date:
• Dynamic and innovative leader who demonstrates a deep passion for preserving history and who
enjoys sharing that passion with others
• Strategic thinker and problem solver
• Organized with a high attention to detail
• Program and grant writing/management experience
• Experience in advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion
• Ability to manage own time and the time of staff efficiently and effectively
• Ability to lead, integrate, and inspire large teams
• Demonstrated ability to attract and motivate volunteers
• Experience with public relations and community engagement
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills for client-facing and internal communications
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
• Responsible for the overall operation and supervision of the Museum, to include: the
development and delivery of a quality guest experience through inclusive exhibits and educational
programming; the care of the museum’s collections, buildings/grounds, and historic vessels; and
working with volunteer committees.
• Effectively collaborative with an array of constituencies, including the Board of Directors, to
advance and elevate the museum’s mission and vision.
• Maintain knowledge of professional best practices in historic preservation, facility management
and museum operations.
• Lead new volunteer recruitment campaigns, develop an engaging atmosphere for all volunteers
to grow and develop their skills and provide ongoing coaching/support to our volunteer leaders
• Provide fundraising and donor development support to the Membership and Development
• Oversee financial management of the museum and its programs and events
• In collaboration with the Board, create, implement, and manage a long-range strategic plan that
focuses on the financial and operational sustainability of the museum
• Provide clear direction, supervision and mentorship to all staff and consultants
• Lead a monthly operational meeting to include the chairs of all operational committees
• Research and identify appropriate grant opportunities, prioritizing deadlines and pooling
appropriate resources for grant writing
• Oversee the selection, curation, and proper care of mission-focused artifacts/objects that support
the museum’s mission and vision and that drive increasing attendance and membership
• Collaborate with local school systems to oversee the development and implementation of
relevant and intriguing educational programming
• Oversee the coordination special events in collaboration with the Board, staff and volunteers
Education / Experience:
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree with experience in association or non-profit management;
museum experience a plus.
Apply at email@example.com.
This is an open process. Materials will be accepted until interviews begin. Candidates with
museum experience and an extensive knowledge of the region, its history, and its local culture
will receive favorable consideration.