Job Listing: Metadata Specialist
Christiansburg Institue Museum & Archives - Christiansburg, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Metadata Specialist
Salary - $40,000/Annually
Job Type - Contract
For more info and to apply: Email Jenny Nehrt at CIMA@christiansburginstitute.com
About Christiansburg Institute, Inc.:
Christiansburg Institute, Inc., is a grassroots African American cultural heritage
and historic preservation nonprofit with a mission of community education,
intergenerational empowerment, and the equitable stewardship of African
American history, stories, and culture. More information about the history of the
school and our organizational mission can be found at
Major Areas of Responsibility:
The Metadata Specialist will be responsible for reviewing, editing, and adding
comprehensive metadata within a predefined methodology on the organization’s
complete asset collection. The person in this position will work collaboratively
with other staff and external collection owners to create descriptive,
administrative, and technical metadata for a variety of digital collection materials
according to digital curation standards and practices. The Metadata Specialist will
provide training and guidance to Christiansburg Institute, Inc (CI, Inc.) staff in
the areas of metadata standards.
- Assist with processing physical collection.
- Creation of metadata records, datasets specific records for a historical African
American Museum proprietary website.
- Demonstrate and facilitate effective communication throughout CI, Inc as well
as external collection owners.
- Effectively use image processing software to prepare and maintain digital
- Review digital assets (photos, articles, etc.) to create and edit pre-existing
metadata to capture necessary information.
- Other job duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge of current trends in metadata standards and practices.
- Skills in metadata and working with web-based information.
- Must be familiar with library databases.
- Must have the ability to understand dataset documentation and have the skills
to extract information from the document to complete and enhance metadata
- Demonstrated communication skills with a wide range of constituencies.
- Proven organizational skills
- Experience ensuring that projects meet deadlines, facilitating planning
sessions, or conducting periodic reviews to report on project progress.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Two (2) years of experience in metadata work
- Experience with Digital Asset Management software and metadata standards is