Job Listing: Guest Services Associate - ACWM
American Civil War Museum - Richmond, VA
Closes - open until filled
Position Title - Guest Services Associate
Compensation - $13/hour
Job Type - part-time
Apply - To apply, please send current resume and cover letter to Cara Sisson at email@example.com.
Summary - The Guest Services Associate (GSA) position offers the opportunity to serve as the first point of contact for all visitors and to cultivate an engaging gift shop experience in support of the ACWM’s mission. The GSA is a primary source of information and ambassador to provide on-site assistance to visitors at both of our Richmond sites. This position reports directly to the Guest Services Manager and will be responsible for the duties below at ACWM-Tredegar or the White House of the Confederacy
Job Responsibilities -
- Welcoming and warmly greeting our guests, briefly orientating visitors to the Museum, programs & events, and membership benefits
- Highlights Museum exhibits, programs and activities; provides a brief orientation and directional services of space (galleries, reading lounge, restrooms); and offers assistance regarding local dining, nearby attractions and upcoming events
- Actively promotes and sells annual memberships to patrons visiting the Museum, answering questions and shares the benefits of becoming an ACWM member
- Assists visitors in obtaining parking or alternative parking options when there are closures. Ensuring they park in designated areas.
- Makes appropriate recommendations to improve the visitors’ experience through effective listening and communication with the visitors’ needs and agenda/itinerary
- Maintains a neat appearance of the front desk area at all times
- Process transactions for admissions, fees for programs, and membership through our PoS System. Ensure accurate information input into the system
- Answers the Museum’s telephone lines promptly, responds to inquiries courteously, and directs callers to the appropriate staff offices and individuals as needed
- Represents the Museum during special events and in welcoming tour groups.
- Participates regularly in refresher training with the Guest Services Manager
- Performs routine tasks assigned by the Guest Services Manager and other related duties as assigned
Museum Gift Shop
- Processes all customer transactions from the Museum Gift Shop as they occur
- Initiates and completes sales transactions with visitors, including greeting each customer, suggesting selling, cash, and credit card transactions, and thanking the guests for their visit.
- Participates in inventory and restocking of items
- Ensures all displays and supplies within the Museum Gift Shop are clean, orderly, and stocked at all times
- Performs other related duties as assigned
Operations & Security
- Assists in the opening and closing operations of the museum and the historic home
- Assists in access efforts to ensure ADA compliance
- Ensures public spaces are set up and tidy for general operations and all types of programming/events
- Assists with special events and programming as needed, sometimes on weekends and/or after regular business hours. This may include helping set up and clean before and/or after programs
- Being generally aware of special visitors, programming, upcoming events, and exhibitions
- Responds calmly and professionally to emergencies, following procedures, and promptly notifying supervisors of incidents
- Reports all emergency situations to appropriate management staff or authority
Additional Duties: Routinely checks the galleries, The Robins Theater, the reading lounge, and public spaces for cleanliness, and malfunctioning equipment, reports and notifies the appropriate staff.
Skills & Abilities
- Professional, outgoing, friendly, and service-oriented
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong communication skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Minimum of a high school diploma
- Ability to work a flexible schedule
- Experience operating a Point of Sale (PoS) System and cash handling
- Front Desk or Customer Service experience, preferably in a museum, historic site, or attraction setting
- Interest in Civil War history, public history, historic preservation, or related fields.
About the American Civil War Museum: The American Civil War Museum is the preeminent center for the exploration of the American Civil War and its legacies from multiple perspectives. We are so much more than a collection of artifacts. We are storytellers and educators. In the battle against the all-too-human instinct to wish the past were simple, we’re exploring the unparalleled significance the American Civil War holds to the complexities we face today. We believe that understanding this period of America’s development is fundamental to understanding current society, culture, and who we are as Americans.
The American Civil War Museum is a national resource for connecting people to the history and legacies of the American Civil War. Our vast collection of artifacts provides the backdrop for the stories we share. With locations in Richmond and Appomattox, the Museum explores the stories of the Civil War era through our award-winning exhibits and programs. Visit us at acwm.org to find out more.
DISCLAIMER: The information provided in this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by incumbents in this position. This job description is not intended to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications, and work conditions of employees assigned to this job. Management has sole discretion to add or modify the duties of this position and designate other functions as essential at any point in time. Management may also modify working hours and work location at any point in time. This job description is not an employment agreement or contract.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO): The American Civil War Museum provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, ancestry, medical condition, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual preference or any other basis prohibited by federal or state law or local ordinance applicable to our work locations. We also make reasonable accommodations for disabled employees if we are aware of the need for accommodation and if the requested accommodation does not cause undue hardship as interpreted from the ADA/ADAAA. This policy applies to all areas of employment, including recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits, transfer, and social and recreational programs. Finally, we prohibit the harassment of any individual.