Job Listing: Director of Finance & Human Resources
Stratford Hall - Stratford, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Director of Finance & Human Resources
Salary - Based on Experience
Job Type - Full-Time
For more info and to apply: Please send a resume and cover letter with salary requirements to the attention of Anne McGraw at HR@warrenwhitney.com with “Stratford Hall Director of Finance & HR” in the subject line.
The position will remain open until filled.
Stratford Hall, a national historic landmark, is seeking qualified candidates for the position of
Director of Finance (Controller) and Human Resources reporting to the President. This is a
full-time, semi-remote position with the flexibility to telework for part of the week and work onsite for the remainder of the week.
As a member of the senior leadership team, The Director of Finance & HR is responsible for the management and execution of finance, accounting (including payroll), and human resource support activities. Duties include accounting, budgeting and analysis, financial liaison to the Board’s Finance and Audit Committees, assisting with administrative and strategic planning. This position reports to the President and serves as the supervisor for one Accountant on staff, as well as our contracted HR professional, and occasional volunteers/interns.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Maintains financial records including expenditures, receipts, accounts payable and
receivable, grants, restricted funds and profit and loss. Reviews financial data in cash
and accrual formats and processes journal entries.
• Serves as liaison to Board Finance and Audit committees by preparing documents in
advance of meetings, keeping accurate notes, and coordinating meetings.
• Reviews all transactions and posts many debits and credits. Produces monthly financial
statements and prepares financial reports and summaries for staff.
• Prepares bank deposits and verifies and balances receipts.
• Prepares documentation for and assists with preparation of annual audit and tax return.
Serves as institutional liaison to audit firm.
• Works with Development staff on annual giving reconciliation and maintains accounting
control over endowment and other investment funds.
• Monitors income and expenditures, analyzes excesses and deficits, and recommends or
implements adjustments as needs and financial resources suggest in coordination with
President. Assists the staff in compiling the annual budget.
• Manages workflow of the Staff Accountant.
• Assists HR with annual Benefits Open Enrollment by analyzing yearly broker provided
proposals for health, dental, vision & ancilliary programs (STD, LTD & Life Insurance).
• Manages property and liability insurance coverage.
• Other duties as assigned.
Required Education & Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration/Accounting/Finance or related field; CPA
• Minimum of 5 years of experience with not-for-profit accounting and finance at a
management level, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
• Financial – Must understand accounting, budgeting, investments, and allocation of
resources and demonstrate high proficiency with QuickBooks Premier and other
• Personnel – Requires strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well with others.
• Management – Must be able to communicate clearly and work well with teams. A selfstarter that can work independently on a variety of complex tasks concurrently and
• Problem Solving – Must be committed to seeking solutions to shared issues and develop
Stratford Hall is a National Historic Landmark located in Westmoreland County, VA nestled along the Potomac River. A publicly accessible museum and historic site for over ninety years and home to the only two brothers to have signed the Declaration of Independence, Stratford
Hall will leverage the upcoming 250th Anniversary of the birth of our nation to reintroduce our broad and diverse stories to our communities and stakeholders. A model of historic preservation and land conservation, Stratford Hall contributes actively to the Northern Neck community and encourages applications from strategic thinkers committed to joining this collaborative and dynamic leadership team as we undergo a transformative strategic planning process.
What We Offer:
Stratford Hall offers a generous benefits package and pays competitive salary for the non-profit sector. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating an inclusive and collaborative culture among our staff, which we believe is critical to advancing our mission. Prospects interested in helping to ensure Stratford Hall remains relevant for future generations and in making a difference at our historic site, in our field, and to our community are encouraged to apply. For more information about our organization please visit www.stratfordhall.org
How To Apply:
Please send a resume and cover letter with salary requirements to the attention of Anne McGraw
at HR@warrenwhitney.com with “Stratford Hall Director of Finance & HR” in the subject line.
The position will remain open until filled.
The organization does not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.