Job Listing: Director of Development - Germanna Foundation
Germanna Foundation - Locust Grove, VA
Closes - Open until filled
Position Title – Director of Development
Salary - $70,000
Job Type - Full-Time
Apply: Interested candidates should submit resumes, a cover letter, and three references to the Executive Director, Jennifer Hurst-Wender at firstname.lastname@example.org by February 24, 2023. Please include the position title in your e-mail subject line.
This position serves as the Director of Development, responsible for directing all functions and aspects of fundraising for the organization and its resources, including:
- Fort Germanna Visitor Center campus, which includes a Museum, Genealogy Library, the Hitt Archaeology Center, and the Germanna Memorial Garden
- Siegen Forest – 170-acre Hiking and Nature Trails along the Rapidan river
- 1714/1717 Fort Germanna Archaeology Site
- Virginia Lt. Gov. Alexander Spotswood’s home, “Enchanted Castle” Archaeology Site
- 1757 Georgian-style Salubria Manor
- 1800 Peter Hitt Farm and Rappahannock River Access
- Annual Reunion and Conference
The Director of Development will collaborate with and support leadership (Executive Director, Senior Staff, and Board of Trustees) to build upon our current donor base and develop new partnerships with individuals, foundations, and corporations to advance the organization’s work. The Director of Development is responsible for leading an integrated program that includes principal, major, and annual gift solicitation from individuals, foundations, corporations, and other organizations; membership; operations; and stewardship. The position works with a small, high-performing team and reports to the Executive Director, with whom the incumbent works closely.
The new Director of Development will join Germanna at an exciting moment in its history. In 2023 we are examining our brand and marketing strategy, with a dedication to reaching out to our community members and expanding our resources to additional stakeholders. In October 2022, Germanna welcomed a new executive director and focused on developing an expanded and more inclusive vision for the organization. Germanna is examining and evaluating all aspects of our work to meet the opportunities and challenges of a post-2020 world. The new Director of Development will be a critical member of the leadership team that ensures the success of this transformation, including the development and implementation of a major capital campaign.
Major duties include:
- Establish and lead major fundraising initiatives to support the organization's broad and ever-evolving programmatic needs. Collaborate with staff and trustees to enhance donor relations, develop fundraising materials, and plan cultivation events of all sizes.
- Work closely with organizational leadership to manage all aspects of upcoming and future campaigns.
- Serve as an inspiring fundraiser and brand champion. Be a catalyst in strengthening the organization’s culture of philanthropy.
- In partnership with the Executive Director, Trustees, and Senior Staff, craft and implement a strategic development operating plan with corresponding data, tactics, and goals for fundraising. Monitor the development plan’s key metrics and augment them when necessary to achieve goals.
- Identify revenue-raising priorities for the organization and translate them into compelling opportunities for support.
- Maintain a rigorous commitment to new major donor prospect identification and manage a portfolio of current and prospective donors at the highest levels of giving capacity, including individual and institutional sources. Establish and maintain close, direct relationships with donors and prospects.
- Oversee the crafting and management of the Development department’s annual budget. Oversee the development of effective, inspirational, and powerful communications and materials in support of fundraising, including proposals for presentation to prospective donors.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in progressively responsible development leadership positions, and participation in a capital campaign, preferably within a cultural/historical/educational institution, nonprofit organization, or another similar environment.
- Demonstrated ability to create and manage a budget.
- A proven and inspirational fundraiser with a track record of success in securing six-figure gifts and greater.
- Demonstrated strength in prospect discovery and building effective strategies to compel new major donor targets to invest in the organization’s programs and mission.
- Experience identifying, nurturing, and working with Trustees and other organizational supporters, and an appreciation for their role in building an effective fundraising network.
The position is a full-time, salaried position. $70,000
Benefits: The Germanna Foundation offers a generous HRA insurance package, paid time off, and holiday pay.
Interested candidates should submit resumes, a cover letter, and three references to the Executive Director, Jennifer Hurst-Wender at email@example.com by February 24, 2023. Please include the position title in your e-mail subject line.
Germanna ensures its employees and affiliated persons (interns, research associates, fellows, and volunteers) are protected from discrimination and unfair treatment in the workplace regardless of their race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, gender stereotyping, pregnancy, and sexual orientation), age, disability, genetic information, marital status, parental status, or political affiliation and are free from reprisal against protected activities.
Germanna provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify us through the email address listed in this announcement