Job Listing: Director of Development
Menokin - Warsaw, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Director of Development
Salary - $70,000-85,000/year
Job Type - Full-Time
Menokin seeks a Director of Development that believes in the power of nonprofits to create immense change in the community. The Director of Development position provides the opportunity to make a significant contribution to a cutting edge cultural heritage site in the heart of Virginia’s Northern Neck. Menokin, a 500-acre land conservancy and home of a signer of the Declaration of Independence, is in the midst of a multi-year capital campaign to fund the most engaging preservation project in America.
The Director of Development is responsible for planning and implementing the fundraising activities of the Menokin Foundation‘s development program. This includes planning direct solicitation of high-level support for both the operational and capital campaigns. The Director of Development oversees an integrated fundraising program to develop individual, foundation and corporate contributions, cultivate and steward donors, work directly with the board in planning their development activities, and direct and manage one full time Development Coordinator. The Director of Development reports directly to the Executive Director to carry out the yearly development plan that supports the strategic plan of the Menokin Foundation. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Educate and motivate Foundation Board members to be effective members of the development team.
- Identify, qualify, research, cultivate, and plan solicitations, and stewardship of high-level prospects.
- Understand and communicate the Menokin Foundation’s Mission, Vision and related projects- not only for the Glass House Project but also for educational programs that relate to the Foundation’s Mission.
- Meet with high level prospects and supporters in a variety of locations, to generate high dollar solicitations, and follow-up through donations.
- Schedule and prepare for meetings with prospects for Executive Director and Board members.
- In conjunction with the Executive Director and members of the Board, create and implement the Menokin Foundation development plan and fundraising strategy.
- Oversee and mentor Development Coordinator in daily running of the operating campaign, development database, donor research, donor correspondence, fundraising appeals, mailing lists, donor recognition efforts and development events.
- Work with Executive Director, PR Consultants and Development related Action Teams to create and implement a comprehensive public relations strategy for donor development.
- Work proactively with the Menokin Foundation Board including developing and overseeing curated individual donor lists.
- Oversee grant planning and writing in collaboration with Executive Director.
- Assist with public programming when needed, including giving talks and tours to potential donors.
- Run monthly Development Team meetings to report donor pipeline reports and to implement short range strategy.
- Report quarterly development progress to the board and generate end-of-year analyses and development reports with the Executive Director.
What we are seeking in the Director of Development:
- An interest in American history and a strong Passion for Cultural Institutions – experience with history or cultural sites a plus.
- At least 5 years of fundraising experience or experience in a related field
- Positive belief in a non-profit’s ability to create change
- Engaging and Positive Attitude
- Ability to work with a variety of different personalities
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to work well independently
- Available for weekend and evening events
- Ability to work closely and in unison with existing Menokin Foundation staff
Note: Candidate is able to work remotely- though must be within easy driving range and expected to be in the office to work with staff and conduct donor tours regularly.
Hours: Full Time with Employee Health Insurance Plan
T0 Apply: Send a cover letter and resume to Executive Director, Sam McKelvey at: email@example.com
Menokin values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the institution. Menokin is an Equal Opportunity employer.