Job Listing: Communications and Programs Mngr
Germanna Foundation - Locust Grove, VA
Closes - Open until filled
Position Title – Communications and Programs Manager
Salary - $47,000-$52,000
Job Type - Full-Time
Apply: Submit a resume, a cover letter, a writing sample, and three references to the Executive Director, Jennifer Hurst-Wender, at email@example.com. Please include the position title in your e-mail subject line.
The Communications and Programs Manager will work with the Germanna Foundation staff to create, implement and oversee organizational communications, programs, and events for the general public, stakeholders, and the media that effectively grow and promote the Foundation and its mission.
This position will manage marketing, communications, special events, and programs for The Germanna Foundation and its resources, including:
● Fort Germanna Visitor Center campus, which includes a Museum, Genealogy Library, the Hitt Archaeology Center, and the Germanna Memorial Garden
● Siegen Forest – 170-acre Hiking and Nature Trails along the Rapidan River
● 1714/1717 Fort Germanna Archaeology Site
● Virginia Lt. Gov. Alexander Spotswood’s home, “Enchanted Castle” Archaeology Site
● 1757 Georgian-style Salubria Manor
● 1800 Peter Hitt Farm and Rappahannock River access
● Annual Reunion and Conference
The selected candidate will work with the executive director and members of the Foundation staff to develop and implement an overall communications plan for our programming, events, marketing, and fundraising efforts. These communications include website maintenance, updating and managing CRM database, publishing enews and managing content for social media, and drafting press releases. This position will also manage and produce special programming and events supporting the Foundation’s mission, including tour and interpretation development.
Education Requirements and Essential Skills
● BA/BS in Marketing, Management, Public History, Museum Studies, or another relevant field, or comparable education and experience
● An understanding of current public history trends and the ability to convey complex and diverse historical narratives to the public
● Experience in developing marketing materials
● Strong knowledge and understanding of current trends in digital media/social media
● Experience in delivering virtual programming, via Zoom or other digital channels
● Proficiency with editing and design software; Microsoft Office Suite; WordPress, Adobe Suite, and Canva
● Strong writing, editing, proofreading, layout, and design skills, including the ability to present concepts verbally
● Excellent organizational, planning, and budget management skills
● A wide degree of creativity and ingenuity
● A team player with emotional intelligence, flexibility, and a growth mindset
● Experience creating and managing e-newsletters
Communications and Programs Manager Roles & Responsibilities
● Develop brand awareness, build community, and increase website and in-person visitation.
● Lead the implementation of the Foundation’s social media strategy to support the overall goals and objectives.
● Creating compelling content across multiple social media platforms, including (but not limited to) Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, and TikTok.
● Planning and maintaining the social media editorial calendar.
● Using two-way communication effectively, listening to audiences, and providing valuable feedback to the organization.
● Applying best practices and using analytics to gather data to help inform planning and strategy.
● Utilizing solid SEO knowledge and best practices to write blog posts and leverage web content, social media, and advertising to drive website traffic.
● Develop educational programs, scripted tours, and events in alignment with the Foundation’s strategic framework.
● Collect programmatic data, including maintaining accurate attendance records, recording audience demographics, and updating the museum’s CRM database
● Maintain a programmatic calendar for internal use, and communicate staff assignments in a timely manner.
● Lead tours, as well as in-person and online programs.
● Periodically serve as the backup for the guest services (visitor center)
● Ensure the operational and programmatic success of the foundation, which may include task-based and administrative duties that are outside the scope of the core responsibilities listed above.
Benefits: The Germanna Foundation offers a generous HRA insurance package, paid time off, and holiday pay.
Application Instructions: Interested candidates should submit a resume, a cover letter, a writing sample, and three references to the Executive Director, Jennifer Hurst-Wender, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position title in your e-mail subject line.
Germanna ensures its employees and affiliated persons (interns, research associates, fellows, and volunteers) are protected from discrimination and unfair treatment in the workplace regardless of their race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, gender stereotyping, pregnancy, and sexual orientation), age, disability, genetic information, marital status, parental status, or political affiliation and are free from reprisal against protected activities. Germanna provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify us through the email address listed in this announcement.