Job Listing: Collections Specialist
Casemate Museum at Fort Monroe Authority - Fort Monroe, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Collections Specialist
Salary - $44,320 - $49,860/annually
Job Type - Full-Time
To learn more and apply, click here.
Are you looking for a challenging and meaningful career, with the added bonus of panoramic waterfront views, historic homes and beautiful beaches? If so, Fort Monroe Authority (FMA) is dedicated to helping people reach their career goals and at the same time a great place to work, learn and play! In its long history, Ft. Monroe has witnessed some of our nation’s most significant events.
We are currently looking to fill a Collections Specialist position in our Museum, Education and Interpretation Department at Fort Monroe, Virginia. This position includes state employee benefits to include health benefits; membership in the Virginia Retirement System; 13 paid holidays; annual leave; sick leave; group life insurance and other related Commonwealth of Virginia employee benefits.
Under general supervision, the Collections Specialist oversees the management program for all artifacts contained in the Casemate Museum in addition to other objects located in and around Fort Monroe. The Collections Specialist oversees all activities related to the care and documentation of the museum´s objects consisting of textiles, metal and other materials. The Collections Specialist is responsible for the accountability of over 3,000 artifacts consisting of clothing, uniforms, military equipment, art works, historic signage, munitions and weapons. This work includes the processes of acquisitions, accessions, inventorying, conservation, preservation and general collections care in accordance with museum professional standards. The Collections Specialist will work closely with the FMA Archivist in coordinating accessioning processes and developing collection management policies.
· Conducts accessioning, cataloging, and prepares other documentation of collections
· Develops scopes of work for appraisal, cataloging, and other documentation activities
· Develops and conducts inventory control procedures
· Manages collection databases and other computer records
· Develops and implements a comprehensive, systematic collections management program
· Develops new policies, procedures, and approaches to collection management
· Conducts or coordinates research into the collections, including identification authentication, appraisal, history and provenance of objects and documents
· Assists in preservation and protection of the FMA museum artifact collection
· Oversees use of collections by researchers
· Provides Director of MEI advice on museum collection storage techniques and practices
· Packs and ships museum objects and documents
· Identifies objects needing conservation treatment and arranges treatment to the appropriate facility
· Prepares clear, concise reports documenting and evaluating collections management issues and making recommendations for resolution of issues
· Oversees all documentation of collections, including accessioning, cataloging, and legal and other documentation
· Identifies signs of deterioration and wear, performs routine preservation maintenance of objects, and recognize conditions that require more extensive conservation treatment
· Provides researchers and FMA staff access to collections as required
· Reviews exhibit plans for collections management issues and to recommend creative, responsible solutions to these issues
· Works creatively with exhibit planning, interpretive planning, and educational programming teams to provide access to and use of collections
· Performs all other duties as assigned
Education: Bachelor’s degree required in history, public history, or museum studies. Master’s degree preferred.
Experience: Minimum of five (5) years of working with artifact collections. Experience with military collections a plus.
Or combination of Education and Experience.
Note: All full-time employees are required to contribute 5% of annual salary toward their retirement account; in accordance with VRS retirement provisions. This is handled through a pre-tax payroll deduction.
The Fort Monroe Authority is an EEOC compliant employer.
This posting will be posted as open until filled. If interested, please apply at Indeed.com. Resume and cover letter must be submitted to be considered for this position.