Job Listing: Collections Management Technician
The Mariners' Museum - Newport News, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Collections Management Technician
Salary - $36,000/year
Job Type - Full-Time
To learn more and apply, click here.
The Collections Management Technician is responsible for supporting the stewardship and safekeeping of the Museum’s collection. This position is focused upon the maintenance and protection of the collection. They also facilitate access to the collection both internally and externally, through various means.
- Responsible for coordinating Internal and external object viewing requests
- Responsible for coordinating with Digital Services to fulfill their Photography work requests
- Coordinate with Conservation and Facilities to accomplish Artifact cleaning in the galleries
- Responsible for maintaining the safety, orderliness and cleanliness of storage areas
- Assist with managing volunteers and interns
- Access and maintain gallery climate information from Dataloggers, and maintain records
- Assist the Collections Specialists with packing objects for storage
- Responsible for assisting Exhibit Design with exhibit installation and deinstallation
- Responsible for managing the Department’s Ebay sales of approved objects
- Temporary loan Exams:
- Completion of forms and tracking of objects temporarily deposited at the Museum for review
- Assist with making location changes as objects are accessioned, moved from storage to exhibition and back,
- Contribute to the Museum’s Blog by writing blog posts as time allows
- Assist with special events and projects as assigned by the VP of Collections
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Proficiency in all Microsoft products and Windows based applications including digital imaging software required.
- The ability to multitask is required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required in order to maintain complex record systems (both manual and computerized).
- Must be team player with excellent organizational skills and the ability to quickly adapt in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Art History, Fine Arts or other related field required.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in art or object handling within a Museum setting is required.
- Experience in Re:Discovery and/or Proficio collections management software is preferred.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be able to pass a background check and drug screen prior to employment.
- Must be able to work various hours to include nights and weekends.