Job Listing: Collections Management Technician
George Mason's Gunston Hall - Fairfax County, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Collections Management Technician
Salary - $11.41 hourly
Job Type - Part-time
For more info and to apply - firstname.lastname@example.org.
George Mason’s Gunston Hall, a National Historic Landmark located on scenic Mason Neck inFairfax County, Virginia, is pleased to announce a new opportunity. We are seeking adetail-oriented, energetic emerging museum professional to help provide excellent care for our collection by serving as our 8-12 hour a week part-time Collections Management Technician.
The Collections Management Technician performs duties related to the preservation of and access to both Gunston Hall collections and objects on loan to Gunston Hall. The Collections Management Technician reports to the Curator. Under the direction of the Curator, the Collections Management Technician follows the Gunston Hall Collections Management Policy and Procedure Manuals and acts according to professional museum technical and ethical standards.
The ideal candidate will have a positive attitude, an energetic personality, and the ability to adapt to changing circumstances. The candidate will be a careful, yet solutions-oriented, person who possesses exemplary communication skills, excels in a team environment, and respects both confidentiality and integrity.
The Collections Management Technician is primarily responsible for
● Monitoring temperature, humidity, pests, and light levels
● Assisting with efforts to prevent theft of or damage to collections items, including
● Assisting with the transfer of objects from one location to another
● Preservation-level cleaning
● Organizing and monitoring collections management supplies and equipment
● Contributing to exhibition installation and de-installation
● Processing loans, including receiving, packing/unpacking, and inventorying items, as
well as preparing condition reports
● Conducting regular inventories of collections items
● Entering information into the collections management database.
Qualifications for this position include:
● Demonstrated interest in museums.
● At least one year of higher education, including college-level classes in history,
American studies, material culture or a related field. An Associate’s or Bachelor’s
degree is preferred, but is not required.
● Awareness of professional standards and practices relating to museum collections
● Ability to communicate and produce correspondence, spreadsheets, and reports using
Microsoft Office and Google Workspace.
● Familiarity with collections databases.
● Ability to climb, balance, reach overhead, stoop, kneel, and crouch.
● Physical agility and strength required to lift and move up to 50 pounds.
● Ability to tolerate indoor and outdoor working conditions.
The Collections Management Technician is an hourly (wage) position for 8-12 hours a week, varying as needs change. The hourly rate is $11.41. The position does not have health insurance or paid leave.
The mission of Gunston Hall is to utilize fully its physical and scholarly resources to stimulate continuing public exploration of democratic ideals as first presented by George Mason in the 1776 Virginia Declaration of Rights. The site includes the Gunston Hall mansion, reconstructed outbuildings, a visitor center, and 550 acres of diverse landscape situated along the Potomac River in Fairfax County, Virginia. Once a site of slavery, Gunston Hall is now a museum dedicated to telling the stories of all the people who lived on the 18th-century plantation, including enslaved women, men, and children, indentured workers, and George Mason, one of the leaders of the Revolution and new nation. Gunston Hall uses stories of the past to help visitors better understand the ideas and contradictions that formed our nation.For
more information, please visit www.gunstonhall.org.
To apply please send a cover letter and resume to Rebecca Martin, Director of Education and
Guest Experiences at email@example.com.
Gunston Hall is an equal opportunity employer