Job Listing: Associate Curator
UVA’s Kluge-Ruhe Aboriginal Art Collection - Charlottesville, VA
Closes - This position will remain open until filled.
Position Title –Associate Curator
Salary - $48,000-$52,000 commensurate with education and experience.
Job Type - Part-Time, Exempt
For more info and to apply: Please review instruction at the end of this page.
Associate CuratorThe Kluge-Ruhe Aboriginal Art Collection of the University of Virginia seeks a dynamic and innovative Associate Curator to manage an array of collaborative curatorial projects.
Kluge-Ruhe is the only museum dedicated to First Nations Australian arts and cultures in the United States. It works with Indigenous artists, curators and communities to amplify their voices in the museum and beyond.
The Associate Curator will help to realize the museum’s commitment to increasing Indigenous participation in everything we do, and specifically in the curation of exhibitions at Kluge-Ruhe. This position will implement a new Indigenous curatorial residency program beginning in August 2023. The AC will support the curatorial fellow in developing one main exhibition for Kluge-Ruhe accompanied by associated public programs. In addition, the AC will work with guest curators and artists to support and manage smaller rotating exhibitions at Kluge-Ruhe and offsite associated with the museum’s artist residency program. The Associate Curator will facilitate and collaborate on research, checklists, didactics, publications and programming related to Kluge-Ruhe’s exhibitions and collection.
Reporting to the Director, this position will also undertake research on the collection and contribute to the development of digital resources.
Specific responsibilities include:
· Manage curatorial projects for the museum, working collaboratively with curatorial fellows undertaking residencies at Kluge-Ruhe, guest curators and artists.
· Work with K-R staff to establish a schedule of curatorial activities with specific deliverables to ensure projects are realized on time.
· Undertake and facilitate research on the collection in support of exhibitions and digital projects.
· Work with curatorial fellows, staff and volunteers to develop and implement programs associated with exhibitions.
· Work across departments to achieve K-R’s strategic initiatives outlined in the Strategic Plan 2021- 26. https://klugeruhe.wpenginepowered.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/Kluge-Ruhe-Strategic-Plan-2021-Brief.pdf
· Contribute to activities concerning the collection, such as the development of core documents, policies and procedures and digital initiatives.
· Master’s degree in Art History.
· At least three years of museum or art gallery curatorial experience. Relevant experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
· Knowledge of Indigenous Australian arts and cultures and experience curating or co-curating exhibitions
· Good communication and organizational skills are necessary for this position, as is the ability to work in a highly collaborative, team-based environment.
· Candidates should be able to multitask and work well under pressure to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects concurrently.
· Candidates should also have strong public speaking skills and engage with the community, donors, and supporters of the museum.
· A Ph.D. in Art History or a related discipline is preferred, but not required.
· Project management skills and experience
This is position is In-Person located in Charlottesville, VA.
This position is a restricted position and is dependent upon project need, availability of funding and performance.
This is a 12-month appointment beginning July 31, 2023 with the possibility of renewal.
Anticipated Hiring Range: $48,000-$52,000 commensurate with education and experience.
This is a part time 32 hrs/wk (0.8 FTE) position. This is an Exempt level, benefited position. For more information on the benefits at UVA, visit www.hr.virginia.edu/benefits.
This position will remain open until filled. Review of applicants will begin May12, 2023.
The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment.
To Apply:Process for Internal UVA Applicants: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs”, and search for “R0047520“
Process for External Applicants: Please visit UVA job board at https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs and search for “R0047520”.
Complete an application online with the following documents:
· Cover letter expressing your interest in and unique qualifications for this position.
Upload all materials into the resume submission field, multiple documents can be submitted into this one field. Alternatively, merge all documents into one PDF for submission. Applications that do not contain all required documents will not receive full consideration.
References will be completed via UVA’s standardized process Skill Survey. A total of five references will be requested via SkillSurvey during the final phase of the interview process.
For questions about the application process, please contact Jon Freeman, Recruiting Specialist, at email@example.com.