Job Listing: Art Preparator
Chrysler Museum of Art - Norfolk, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Art Preparator
Salary - Based on Experience
Job Type - Full-Time
For more info and to apply: Click Here
Prepare objects for display, storage, or travel.
· Installs and de-installs temporary and permanent exhibitions. Provides technical support for all exhibitions.
· Assists with care of the museum’s collection and collection storage areas.
· Participates in all phases of art movement within the museum, including the permanent collection, loans to the museum, and incoming and outgoing exhibitions.
· Prepares artwork for display (e.g. matting, framing, mounting, glazing, installation of hardware)
· Prepares artwork for travel (e.g. lining crates, soft packing, etc.). Provides transport as necessary.
· Assists with the preparation of labels and text panels.
· Performs other duties as assigned or required.
· High School or equivalent education is required; BA/BS in a related field is preferred.
· Must have at least 1 year of experience in art handling and/or exhibitions installation
· Must be meticulous and able to work as part of a team to accomplish challenging tasks with limited supervision
· Prior museum experience is strongly preferred.
· Finish carpentry experience preferred.
· Exhibition lighting experience preferred
· Position will be based in busy environments, be subject to frequent interruptions, and require interaction with the public.
· Position requires individual to be able to work with power tools of various types.
· Must be able to climb ladders and work at varying heights.
· Must be able to lift and carry delicate and awkward items weighing up to 75 lbs. without assistance.
· Requires intermittent standing, walking, sitting, squatting, stretching, and bending throughout the workday.
· Must be able to see and hear, or use prosthetics that will enable these senses to function adequately to assure that the requirements of this position can be fully met.
The Chrysler Museum of Art is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Employee discount
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 10 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- Weekend availability