Job Listing: Museum Supervisor
Carlyle House Museum, NOVA Parks - Alexandria, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Museum Supervisor
Salary - $13.21/hour
Job Type - Full-Time
To learn more and apply, click here.
The Museum Supervisor is responsible for managing the daily operations of the Carlyle House Museum and ensuring an engaging experience for visitors. The Supervisor is an integral part of the museum staff with opportunity to take on additional projects and tasks as skill set and interests allow.
Pay Rate: $ 13.21 per hour
Major Duties/Specific Tasks
- Open and close museum (keys, security codes, safe).
- Supervise the safety of visitors, house, collection, and grounds.
- Knowledge of emergency procedures, basic first aid, and CPR.
- Responsible for all aspects of museum operations during shift.
- Keep site manager up to date on visitor feedback, volunteers, and other pertinent information.
- Stay up to date on current programming and operational information from Site Manager.
- Supervise and manage docents.
- Open the facility, to include disarming house, preparing museum rooms for visitors, preparing cash drawers.
- Welcome visitors.
- Provide information about the historic site, tours, City of Alexandria, programs, rentals, and NOVA Parks.
- Handles admissions and museum shop merchandise sales.
- Answer telephone.
- Perform cash drawer end of day procedures, including all reports and the daily deposit.
- Keep areas clean and orderly, stock bathrooms, empty trash, wipe down kitchen surfaces.
- Ensure museum shop is properly restocked.
- Respond to phone and in-person rental inquiries.
- Position signage for rentals.
- Explain and enforce policies and procedures.
- Serve as staff for rentals, on occasion.
- Promote upcoming programs and provide information to public.
- Process program reservations and payments.
- Serve as staff for programs and events.
- Conduct daily tours of house, as needed.
- Stay current with new research information.
- Attend training sessions and enrichment lectures.
- Represent Carlyle House and NOVA Parks to the visiting public in a positive, engaging and respectful manner.
- Respond to verbal and written inquiries.
- Explain and enforce rules and policies.
- Address and resolve complaints from the public.
- Minimum age of 18 years.
- Possession of or ability to obtain valid driver’s license, must maintain safe driving record.
- Must enjoy working with the public.
- Must be able to work independently and in a team setting.
- Experience with historic and/or cultural or community sites is preferred.
- Experience in visitor and customer service, event rentals, and public programming preferred.
- Attention to detail is important.
- Ability to perform a variety of duties, including custodial tasks.
- Strength and dexterity necessary to perform all required tasks, including lifting, stooping, bending, and working in tiring and uncomfortable positions.
- Excellent communication skills, via phone, email and in person.
- Experience giving tours is preferred.
- Ability to conduct guided tours of the museum.
- Ability to supervise volunteers.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Weekday and some weekend work required.
- This is a year-round position.