Job Listing: Youth Programs Associate
George Washington’s Mount Vernon - Mount Vernon, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Youth Programs Associate
Salary - $13.00/Hour
Job Type - Part-Time
For more info and to apply: click here
The Education and Guest Services Division provides meaningful learning opportunities for Mount Vernon’s one million annual visitors and students in classrooms around the country. Through a diverse portfolio of interpretive experiences, engaging public programs, and online resources, we expand each learner’s understanding of, and appreciation for, our nation’s Founding Father and the world in which he lived.
The Youth Programs team is part of the Department of Learning, and provides programing to enhance the experience of families and young people who visit Mount Vernon.
The starting salary for this position is $13.00/hour.
- Exceed audience learning expectations and ensure a level of access in which everyone is welcome– be friendly, respectful, engaging, compassionate, and flexible. Always remember that this visit may be their first and only.
- Encourage a meaningful appreciation of George Washington and the world in which he lived. Ensure that his legacies connect to the world our audiences live in today.
- Engage yourself in the mission of the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association – take responsibility for your continued development and commit to collaboration. Care for your colleagues and be proud of what we accomplish together.
- Provide a welcoming and positive environment for intergenerational groups to have meaningful learning experiences at Mount Vernon.
- Facilitate youth and family activities with Mount Vernon audiences, including:
- Hands-on-History Center
- Indoor and Outdoor Discovery Stations
- Learning experiences in the historic area
- Special Events and Programs
- Contribute to the evaluation of programming and activities for target audiences.
- Prepare, organize, and clean materials for programs
- Assist with other projects and programs as needed
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Interest in engaging with children and families
- A sincere in interest in history
- Willingness to adapt and interpret mission-based content for visitors of all ages, learning styles, and accessibility needs.
- Ability to work creatively and effectively as a member of a team
- Must be responsible, flexible, punctual, and able to work well under pressure
- Must be able to engage with visitors for long periods on varying surfaces, inside and outside, and in a variety of conditions.
- Availability to work weekdays, weekends, & holidays, as well as occasional evenings
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds and push 50 pounds
- Must comply with comprehensive dress code for uniformed staff; departmental standard operating procedures