Job Listing: Youth Educator
Norfolk Botanical Garden - Norfolk, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Youth Educator
Salary - $12.00/hour
Job Type - Seasonal, Part-time
For more info and to apply, click here.
Teach educational programming and perform any/all functions relating to the World of Wonders (WOW) Children’s Garden. Average weekly hours vary throughout the year, and depend on the needs of the Youth Education Department – spring and summer terms average 30 hours per week. Weekend and some evening work required. Reports to Youth Education Manager and Youth Education Coordinator.
Essential Functions: Facilitate school, scout, family, and birthday programs for children of all ages, present “discovery” programs to Garden visitors, and help to ensure the overall safety and customer satisfaction in the WOW Children’s Garden.
Essential Physical Functions:
- Operate company vehicles such as golf carts, the outreach (passenger) van, and pickup trucks.
- Ability to lift, push, pull up to 30 lbs.
- Ability to continuously walk, stand, bend, reach, twist and/or stoop throughout duration of shift.
- At times staff may be asked to work at an office space to conduct research, prepare program materials, etc. Applicant must be able to sit at a desk, utilize a computer and have a basic knowledge of Microsoft Office, email, and internet use.
- Ability to communicate via a hand-held radio.
- Enthusiasm for environmental education and teaching.
- Ability to work outdoors in variable weather conditions on variable terrain, and with the natural setting of the Garden.
- Flexibility in daily job tasks.
- Willingness and availability to work irregular hours, weekdays, and weekends.
- Ability to work both independently and as a team with minimal supervision.
Education and Experience
- Some college education preferred but not required.
- Required teaching (formal or informal) experience at the elementary and/or pre-school level. Experience in the field of horticulture, biology, gardening, natural science, or a like subject preferred.
- State background check, valid driver’s license, and proof of car insurance required.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Teach onsite and offsite (outreach) programs for school-aged children, lead Scout programs, birthday parties, and family programs, and interpret the collections of the WOW Children’s Garden.
- Willingness and ability to learn educational curriculum and implement the purpose, goals, and objective of each program.
- Encourage positive interactions between visitors and the Garden’s collections and wildlife.
- Set up, clean, and organize stations in the WOW Children’s Garden.
- Assist with research, curriculum development, and activity planning.
- Assists with family activities and evening Garden programs.
- Perform additional duties and responsibilities as requested or assigned, including but not limited to overseeing the splash fountain water feature in the WOW Children’s Garden.
- Staff discounts on programming, gift shop and café
- NBG logo wear for work provided
- EAP services for all employees
Affirmative action plan/equal employer opportunity (AAP/EEO) statement: NBG is committed to the principles and ideals of equal employment opportunity. It is, and shall continue to be, the policy and practice throughout NBG to foster equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for applicants, employees, and volunteers without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, marital status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions including lactation, status as a veteran, or other protected status, if qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Download an application from this page: https://norfolkbotanicalgarden.org/get-involved/employment/
Send resume and application to email@example.com