Job Listing: Executive Director
Wilton House Museum - Richmond, VA
Closes - 2/3/2022
Position Title – Executive Director
Salary - $65,000 - $75,000/Annually
Job Type - Full-Time
For more info and to apply: See below
National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the Commonwealth of Virginia
Wilton House Museum
Executive Director Job Posting
The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in the Commonwealth of Virginia actively promotes our national heritage through statewide historic preservation, patriotic service and educational projects especially at Wilton House Museum, located in Richmond, Virginia.
Wilton House Museum tells a compelling story of Virginia history from the 1750’s to the 1930’s in a unique architectural setting. Once the centerpiece of a 2,000-acre plantation owned by the Randolph family, Wilton was home to the largest enslaved population in Henrico. George Washington and Thomas Jefferson were among famous Americans who visited the home. After changing hands and surviving the Civil War, Wilton fell into disrepair. It was saved by the NSCDA-VA in 1932. The Society had the home dismantled and moved to its present location.
Wilton House Museum is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, the gold standard for museum excellence. The museum’s next Executive Director will continue its strong path forward through strategic planning, innovative interpretation, exhibits, and public programming.
The Executive Director will serve both the NSCDA-VA and Wilton House Museum boards, will develop annual budgets, and will oversee a staff of two full-time and five part time employees plus a growing volunteer program.
Key Responsibilities and Qualifications:
- The ability and confidence to work with a strong museum board and staff, a strong NSCDA-VA board, donors, partner organizations, and the general public
- Visionary thinking with the strategic and management skills to make the vision a reality
- An eye for talent and an ability to attract, develop, and retain a first-rate staff
- Awareness of how contemporary technologies can be used to preserve and share historical resources and attract new audiences
- Astute financial management skills
- Superior public and private fundraising skills
- Effective communication skills to serve as the public face of Wilton House Museum
- Strong professional credentials and connections
- Integrity, trustworthiness, and credibility
- Communication skills with people at every level
- Tact and diplomacy
- Decision-making ability
- Proven success in leadership
- A passion for, and understanding of, history with a talent to tell its stories
- Bachelor’s degree minimum, higher degree desirable
- Five years minimum historic site experience
- Familiarity with best practices for history museums and sites, and knowledge of or experience with the AAM accreditation process
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and references to Meredith Handakas, Managing Partner, Bryan & Jordan Consulting, LLC, email@example.com no later than February 3, 2021. Wilton House Museum is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity, equity, and inclusion and strives to hire and retain a staff that is reflective of our community and those we serve.